Front Tyre life on Cupra 300

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Open ended question I know but what sort of mileage on average are folks getting from their front Tyres. I know my old K1 use to chew through them in about 8k but wondering if the new chassis is kinder to the rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Think my conti’s lasted about 8k before I had to change. On PS4s now and up to 25k and still tread left!

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition (Alor Blue)
Performance: Racingline OEM+ Stage Two Mapping | Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount | GFB DV+ | Milltek Large Bore Downpipe | Pipewerx Custom Cat Back Exhaust | Forge Turbo Blanket
Interior: Koonlung K1S Dash Cam with BlackVue Power Magic Pro
Exterior: TRC Front Splitter | Foliatec Exhaust Paint Gloss Black

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
8k from the oem Continental 5.

25k seems almost unbelievable for fronts to me, how can those Michelin grip so well and last that long? Unless it's mainly motorway driving.... :funk:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Not 25k on them in total - my mileage is up to 25k, so around 17k on them. 50/50 motorway and A roads.

Performance: Racingline OEM+ Stage Two Mapping | Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount | GFB DV+ | Milltek Large Bore Downpipe | Pipewerx Custom Cat Back Exhaust | Forge Turbo Blanket

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Not 25k on them in total - my mileage is up to 25k, so around 17k on them. 50/50 motorway and A roads.

So like for like driving you got 8k from the Conti's and 17k and still going on the Michelin?
I need those Michelin big time they would save me a small fortune. What's so wrong with Continental I thought they were a decent tyre manufacturer?:confused:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Still going on them. Check them every weekend, still a fair bit of tread. Nowhere near as much as on the rears, but a fair bit away from the legal limit.

I found the contis didn’t grip well at all. Massive understeer, wheel hop was an issue and they wore down so quickly.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I agree the continental are not great. I never got more than 12k on fronts in my Ibiza FR TDI with only 140 bhp so not sure how to get 25k from a 280-300 bhp front driver no matter how good the tyres are... you and I must have very different driving styles and use.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Since fitting the dogbone mount and the Michelin tyres, the wheel hop and wheel spinning has pretty much eradicated unless I absolutely floor it. Im getting close to 400bhp, and I do drive hard, but the tyres are great.

Just to be clear, I’ve not done 25k on them. And I highly doubt they will ever do that much. I think I’ve got another 2k left in them at a push, but Winter will be hard on them and I may need to change in a month or two. I had them fitted in April/May this year and done 17k since. It’s about 50% motorway driving and 50% non motorway driving on them.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Since fitting the dogbone mount and the Michelin tyres, the wheel hop and wheel spinning has pretty much eradicated unless I absolutely floor it. Im getting close to 400bhp, and I do drive hard, but the tyres are great.

Just to be clear, I’ve not done 25k on them. And I highly doubt they will ever do that much. I think I’ve got another 2k left in them at a push, but Winter will be hard on them and I may need to change in a month or two. I had them fitted in April/May this year and done 17k since. It’s about 50% motorway driving and 50% non motorway driving on them.

17k from a pair of fronts on a 400 bhp car still seems amazing to me. I seriously don't know how you do that, I'm not saying I don't believe you but I just don't know how you can make them last that long. All my life I've only ever had front drive cars, some have been total saddo vehicles with hardly any power and I've never had that many miles from the driven tyres even on a Citroën ZX Volcane turbo diesel I had way back when, it was a K reg and made 90 bhp and I dint get 17k from fronts, about 12k I think (a years driving for me). Both my Ibiza FR TDI only got about 12k from the fronts, max 140 bhp I never had them remapped.
Now I have the 280 and 7 to 8k is normal on Conti's, I don't get the wheel hop as I know how and when it occurs and drive accordingly to not get it. I don't do any track days and drive steadily most of the time commuting and to get 17k, more than double what I get is beyond me. I know tyre manufacturer compounds vary etc and not all last the same but for a premium oem supplied tyre to be wearing out in less than half the time of the ones made by Michelin is just insane.
I really need to try some and see how many miles I get from them but I'm hoping my 280 won't need any new fronts before it goes and my 300 arrives. On the 300 when the oem, and I guess they're Continental, wear out I'm going to have to try Michelin to see if I can get 17k from them......

dsj20v

Dec 6, 2007
hampshire
As above ps4s so much better than pzero's also think about the Goodyear Eagle f1 asy5 almost on par with ps4s but cheaper

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.