Fuel Consumption :-(

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Fuel consumption for my FR 115 DSG is not what I expected ie a lot lower at only 38-39mpg. OK I do shorter trips ie 3-10 mile trips locally but still. Done a few longer trips at leasuerly speed and still not over 45mpg. Am now testing to run car in Sports mode as an alternative to the basic D and so far no penatly, in fact its slightly better if anything and car is needless to say so much more on the ball all the time ie great to drive. Almost impossible to get it into 7th gear in Sports mode (sometimes trigger it manually) on the local A/B roads unless one trigger cruise where it seems to go into a D more again. Overall great car, great to drive and lots of space inside so no complaints in that way.

Added a rubber P profile at bottom of doors (inside lip) to keep muck off the door sills and it works great, at £5 from Ebay worth doing IMO.

ranxzy

Mar 28, 2017
A bit off topic, but did you go for the 18" performance alloys? Very interested in getting the FR 115 DSG, but I'm concerned that the ride might be harsh on bumps/potholes with the 18" wheels. They look amazing on the FR imo.

Also, if you adopted for adaptive cruise control, do you find it works well with the DSG?

pettythieflout

Mar 14, 2018
A bit off topic, but did you go for the 18" performance alloys? Very interested in getting the FR 115 DSG, but I'm concerned that the ride might be harsh on bumps/potholes with the 18" wheels. They look amazing on the FR imo.

Also, if you adopted for adaptive cruise control, do you find it works well with the DSG?
I test drove an FR 150 with the 18" wheels, as I was unsure whether to go for them or the standard 17s. Happy to report the ride was better than expected, slightly better than my Citigo Monte Carlo. So I ordered the 18s, they look great.

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders

I stuck to the 17's for comfort and think they look great on the white car, (and am not keen on 2 tone alloys myself). Ride very good and cheaper tyres too. DSG box and adaptive cruise is BRILLIANT and adding adaptive to the list when speccing the car is a must. I think climate control also a must. I use it adaptive cruise all the time when traffic is slower than the speed I prefer to drive. Works well in city traffic too. Only issue I have is that the start/stop is a bit agressive ie it shut off too early, ie sometimes when car is still roling to a stop, not good when you are crawling forward to move off.

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
Bigger alloys could also have a small negative effect on fuel consumption.

The mpg that companies give is based on some unrealistic ideal conditions, so you will never get close to that.

What is surprising is that you get the same with sports mode. Is that the case for your short 3-10 mile trips?

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
Only issue I have is that the start/stop is a bit agressive ie it shut off too early, ie sometimes when car is still roling to a stop, not good when you are crawling forward to move off.

Is there a way to permanently disable start/stop?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Try a Sun early AM trip...eg..8 am or so...with no traffic..I'm sure you can get over 40mpg in the city. 2 weeks ago I did (yes it's the same engine on the previous Ibiza, dsg 1.0Tsi 110, 17 inch 40 profile tyres) London to Manchester, 40, 50, 70 mph roads and some 50 mph roadworks...did 57 mpg average speed 93kmh. On cruise control at 70mph...instant mpg is around 48-55 mpg fluctuating. Car has 8k miles currently Esso 95 petrol. Actually I did London to Manchester to Liverpool, to Chester back to London on a tank of fuel.

Deleted member 103408

Is there a way to permanently disable start/stop?
Carista, OBD11 / VCDS will give you the ability to turn it off permanently via code, but if you want it back on you will have to code it back on.

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
Carista, OBD11 / VCDS will give you the ability to turn it off permanently via code, but if you want it back on you will have to code it back on.

Thanks. Looking at the manual it seems that this feature is optional. When I ordered my car (in Cyprus) there was no mention of start/stop feature, so I wonder if my car will have it or not.

It certainly doesn't have the keyless "heartbeat button" as that was on the options list and I didn't add it. Does this mean my car will not have this start/stop "feature"?

Deleted member 103408

Sorry don't know this model but I agree the manual implies its an optional extra, you are going to have to check with your dealer to confirm.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
My 1.0TSI didn't really loosen up until past 2000 miles. overall mpg before was 44 now 50. However, over 4 years of driving these small displacement turbos, driving style, gradient and wind direction all have a huge effect. They are buggers to get anywhere near to the factory overall mpg figure.

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
OK, d
Sorry don't know this model but I agree the manual implies its an optional extra, you are going to have to check with your dealer to confirm.

OK. Is there anybody here that doesn't have this system? I never had a car that had one, but I never liked it with the cars I test drove.

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
Zoom. My 1.2 did 6% more fuel economy using start stop - saving more than 100 euro per year.

If it comes with this feature I will try it, but I have some concerns. There are many occasions that I need the car to move right when I press the gas pedal. Doesn't this feature introduce a small delay? Maybe it is small enough that most people aren't bothered, but if there is any perceptible delay then it will not match my driving style.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If it comes with this feature I will try it, but I have some concerns. There are many occasions that I need the car to move right when I press the gas pedal. Doesn't this feature introduce a small delay? Maybe it is small enough that most people aren't bothered, but if there is any perceptible delay then it will not match my driving style.

Isn't this button on the left of the gearstick? It should be an A with an almost full circle around it, and maybe the world OFF under it. Regarding delay in engine cutting out, the new Ibiza, the engine switches off even before you come to a complete stop. The previous one (at least on 1.0 TSI DSG), you need to come to a complete stop, and push a bit on the brakes for engine to go off). The only instance when I would turn it off, is when I can see I'm approaching a big roundabout, or in crawling traffic. All other times I would keep it on. I read somewhere (but cannot confirm where) that it only saves fuel if you are stationary for 10 secs or more. Some places where I see the red light ahead, but see that the pedestrian crossing is already counting down to near 0, I would just light press the brake to prevent the engine going off (even though SS is active). If the light turns red just few seconds ago, I would press more firmly on brakes and trigger SS. Not sure if on the new Ibiza you can press the brakes lightly and it would keep the engine on or not. For the manual cars, I think it only turn engine off, if clutch is lifted and in neutral. Once clutch depressed it would auto keep the engine on (at least on the Audi A3 I drove it's like this).

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
I didn't get my car yet and I don't remember if the car at the dealership had this button or not. I guess I can get used to just press the button every time I get in the car if I don't like this feature. It is not a bit deal, but it is not ideal.

Looking at the manual it says that this feature is optional. And in the description of this feature at Seat's website the start/stop button is shown - the car I ordered definitely doesn't have this button: http://www.seat.com/car-terms/s/start-stop-system.html

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I didn't get my car yet and I don't remember if the car at the dealership had this button or not. I guess I can get used to just press the button every time I get in the car if I don't like this feature. It is not a bit deal, but it is not ideal.

Looking at the manual it says that this feature is optional. And in the description of this feature at Seat's website the start/stop button is shown - the car I ordered definitely doesn't have this button: http://www.seat.com/car-terms/s/start-stop-system.html

Oh I think there is some confusion...http://www.seat.co.uk/new-cars/ibiza/technology.html

The circle button is the same thing as the ignition key (part of keyless), the start stop button is the middle of the 3 buttons running down the left side of the gear. Depending on the specs/trim that you have chosen, you may not have either / or only one of these two buttons. As far as I know, the 1.0TSI have this button (middle one) (at least in the previous Ibizas this is the case). What I was mentioning in my previous post was the middle button.

Zoom

Apr 28, 2018
Cyprus
Yes, I know that there are two buttons. I was just thinking that maybe you get both of them or none of them. But I guess that this isn't the case.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.