Fuel economy 290

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I've got a Stage 1 Cupra 290 Lux that's just turned a year old and it's long term is on 36 mpg. I've had it since brand new and that's with very mixed driving and only using 99 RON fuel. It's never seen standard fuel as I bought the car for power and 95 RON can't even give full stock figures due to knock caused by premature ignition of the lower octane fuel.

Reactions: Zer0

andycupra

status subject to change
Possibly, i do go from one extreme to the other! I use cruise control a fair bit too so i guess that helps
cruise control is an interesting argument for MPG as in theory if you were to drive exactly like for like on a level straight bit of road there should be no difference. If there are bends and hills then in theory you should be able to get better mileage than the cruise control as cruise is reactive, whereas the driver can be proactive.
Really the only reason cruise should beat you regards MPG is if you are not maintaining the same speed as the cruise or accelerate more harshly than the cruise.
Motorways the cruise does help, but this is only really as its disciplined and will stay at that speed, whereas modern cars are far more refined and its very easy to find yourself driving faster than you think you are.

beasty54

Jul 23, 2020
cruise control is an interesting argument for MPG as in theory if you were to drive exactly like for like on a level straight bit of road there should be no difference. If there are bends and hills then in theory you should be able to get better mileage than the cruise control as cruise is reactive, whereas the driver can be proactive.
Really the only reason cruise should beat you regards MPG is if you are not maintaining the same speed as the cruise or accelerate more harshly than the cruise.
Motorways the cruise does help, but this is only really as its disciplined and will stay at that speed, whereas modern cars are far more refined and its very easy to find yourself driving faster than you think you are.

Cruise control keeps me at the limit, that's all i use it for so that's why i'll get a better MPG.

George Vinten

BlueCupra290
May 7, 2020
Kent
I’ve had
My new 70 plate Leon is showing long term fuel economy as 29/30mpg, I’ve been driving sensibly as running it in, I’ve read could be getting at least 35mpg, anyone have advice or does it need to be looked at??
I’ve had my 290 since the 11th and I’m getting 28mpg, I don’t do massively long distance driving normally which keeps it down but if you change the setting on individual and change the engine to eco it helps, I got it up to 39mpg on one journey ...while keeping mostly to the speed limit

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
I’ve had

I’ve had my 290 since the 11th and I’m getting 28mpg, I don’t do massively long distance driving normally which keeps it down but if you change the setting on individual and change the engine to eco it helps, I got it up to 39mpg on one journey ...while keeping mostly to the speed limit
Yeh I’ve changed all that in individual mode and put it in eco, didn’t change a thing really, still showing around 28mpg, trouble is I only really use it locally as I don’t travel for work!

Reactions: George Vinten

George Vinten

BlueCupra290
May 7, 2020
Kent
Yeh I’ve changed all that in individual mode and put it in eco, didn’t change a thing really, still showing around 28mpg, trouble is I only really use it locally as I don’t travel for work!
I’ve found that unless your on the motorway Eco mode doesn’t make any real difference, and I only travel a few miles to work so I don’t get very good MPG either as I don’t really go on the motorway much.

Reactions: Danboar