Fuel Guage, Temp sensor and other faults :(

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Hi people,

i have a 52 Reg 130PD sport

a couple of issues, the fuel gauge totally died but then come back to life after leaving the car for abit.
At the same time the external temp display went to ----

ive got full vagcom, and i got faults with Fuel sender unit open circuit and exterior temperature sensor open circuit.

to both happen at the same time points to a Cluster problem, now ive read about the 6 Dial clusters not being the best and having a solder problem? sounds like this is the cause?

As a side note ive also had the red coolant L.E.D flash at me a few times randomly, the coolant spot on Max and its Definitely not over heating, however this could be a sensor or also a dicky Cluster.

Any input before i start scouring a popular auction site for a new cluster :cartman:

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
well it come back to life for a day, then last night i lost, Fuel guage, Volts, Temp... then it works again this morning so pretty sure its cluster.

gonna take it out today check the connections and then check the solder on the green plug i believe? not that ill see much. unfortunately soldering is not my strong point so may have to send it off. to get it checked and re-soldered

got to be a damn sight cheaper than buying a new or even an ebay one and then getting it coded and the mileage correct ect ect, sounds like alot of hassle

Sinfield

Feb 12, 2012
Wellingborough
well it come back to life for a day, then last night i lost, Fuel guage, Volts, Temp... then it works again this morning so pretty sure its cluster.

gonna take it out today check the connections and then check the solder on the green plug i believe? not that ill see much. unfortunately soldering is not my strong point so may have to send it off. to get it checked and re-soldered

got to be a damn sight cheaper than buying a new or even an ebay one and then getting it coded and the mileage correct ect ect, sounds like alot of hassle

Well, try the fuses first to save yourself a few quid just in case. I'm not sure that you can take these clusters apart... correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're sealed.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
The other thing you could try before removing the gauges is to take out the little pull out cubby hole below and to the right of the steering wheel. If you put your arm in there you should be able to feel the green plug. Give it a wiggle about and press it firmly into place. I did this to mine over six months ago and it has relieved the problems (although it has probably not cured them permanently).

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
thats a top tip with getting to the plug, ill defo give that a try, i probably will check the fuses , may as well

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
yeah been reading up thanks.

i checked the wiring but it felt ok. the fuel guage worked perfectly for about a week after this, then last night it went off once and came back.

ive had no other issues for a week. i have decided to sell the car because i have 3 cars and i dont do the mileage to warrant the extra cost of diesel.

on ebay starting at 1600 if anyones interested theres also a for sale add up :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members