Fuse diagram

steviekek

Feb 6, 2021
Scotland
Afternoon

The reason I was after a diagram of the fuse box was so I could hard wire my dash cam
Looking at the manual it said on page 10 that the fuse box is to the left hand side below the steering wheel

I looked there and its wasn't!

I then went round the passenger footwell and had a peek with a torch and its behind the glovebox and I am apprehensive about trying to take this off as Ive never done that sort of thing before. I have only ever popped the odd panel off with a spudger

Has anyone took out or lowered the glove box that could give me any pointers?

Thanks in advance

Steven

steviekek

Feb 6, 2021
Scotland
Looking on YouTube it appears that I may be able to push two plug type things into the side and the glovebox should swing down!

Ill give this a go and let you know and if am lucky enough Ill get a picture of the fuse box for the group

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
Looking on YouTube it appears that I may be able to push two plug type things into the side and the glovebox should swing down!

Ill give this a go and let you know and if am lucky enough Ill get a picture of the fuse box for the group
That's how it works on the MK3 Leon and how I fitted my dash cam to that.

Be interested in what you find out as I am picking my Formentor up next week and want to fit my dash cam

Reactions: steviekek

steviekek

Feb 6, 2021
Scotland
I managed to get the Dash Cam installed

The glove box does indeed drop down like previous models as stated but be careful!

To the right hand side of the glove box is a small plastic ratchet like system for the glove box.

I never saw it and ripped it off! Luckily I managed to get it back together again

As you can see by the fist pic it pulls towards you at the bottom on comes out to the right. You may need to lift or lower the box to get it out

f6938275ced5adc1d302e4be4334da87.jpg

Next you will see the tabs as mentioned that need to be pushed in one at a time and this enables the box to be lowered. Am gonna be honest mine was as tight as a hens face and I used all my strength to pull it down! Thought I was taking the dash with me.

88504e5eedd87c961135770fc468c3e5.jpg

Next is a picture of the fuse box
According to the manual the 20a fuse is for the 12v socket so I checked and it had no power with ignition off and power with ignition on so I piggy backed onto that.
It’s the vertical yellow fuse in the picture

02bdb0acd6e8ce44a57f2618be97e905.jpg

Next I hid all the cables in the side panel with the airbag on off switch is, I also hooked the piggy back through to that too

It’s easy to do but as it started to rain I never got a picture

Cams working

Hope this helps others

Steven

Last edited:
Reactions: Agnes.Surrey

ozzrahog

Jun 24, 2018
I have just installed my dash cam. As steviekek says there is a little ratchet on the right hand side of the glove box to do the soft opening.

I spent ages trying to get it free at the beginning and couldn't, so just pop the glove box tabs (takes a lot of force). As steviekek said it looked like the ratchet was broken but on closer inspection it wasn't it had just come apart. It was easy to reassemble it at the end of the job

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Not sure if it applies in your cases, but I've seen on the Facebook group that people have reported seeing errors on their infotainment and that it was connected to their dashcam lowering the voltage/battery level. Just something to keep in mind if you end up having issues.

I don't have any other details.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
It was me that reported issues with my VZ2 while my dashcam was installed.

I have BlackVue Front and Rear Dashcams which have a parking mode setup which allows them to record if the car is impacted or movement is detected when the car is parked up for the night.

It has been noted that this parking mode is causing my Car Battery to run down to a level that causes errors to be reported with the car systems.

I am in the process of getting and installing a dedicated battery for the Dashcams which will be charged during normal use of the car and then used solely for powering the Dashcams for parking mode so as to save the car battery.

I note that you have connected via the Cigarette Lighter 20A fuse so you are not using parking mode as this does not hold power when the car is parked up.

It’s something to be wary of for anyone wanting to add Dashcams to their Formentor. Due to the technology in the car, there is a lot required from the battery. So if you are going to get Dashcams with parking mode setup, you will need a dedicated power source for the Dashcams when the car is parked up, otherwise you will get lots of car errors reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steviekek

Feb 6, 2021
Scotland

I have BlackVue Front and Rear Dashcams which have a parking mode setup which allows them to record if the car is impacted or movement is detected when the car is parked up for the night.

It has been noted that this parking mode is causing my Car Battery to run down to a level that causes errors to be reported with the car systems.

I am in the process of getting and installing a dedicated battery for the Dashcams which will be charged during normal use of the car and then used solely for powering the Dashcams for parking mode so as to save the car battery.

I note that you have connected via the Cigarette Lighter 20A fuse so you are not using parking mode as this does not hold power when the car is parked up.

It’s something to be wary of for anyone wanting to add Dashcams to their Formentor. Due to the technology in the car, there is a lot required from the battery. So if you are going to get Dashcams with parking mode setup, you will need a dedicated power source for the Dashcams when the car is parked up, otherwise you will get lots of car errors reported.

I had ran my blackvue on 4 cars using a powermagic box. Monitors the battery then cuts off before it gets too low.
I wanted a 4k cam this time so went for a cheaper nextbase 622GW that wakes up and records if its parked

No issues so far

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
I had ran my blackvue on 4 cars using a powermagic box. Monitors the battery then cuts off before it gets too low.
I wanted a 4k cam this time so went for a cheaper nextbase 622GW that wakes up and records if its parked

No issues so far

Ive done some digging and the power medic pro wouldn’t cut the mark with the Formentor. As with my OBD powered supply they cut the engine off at 12V which still causes issues with the cars systems.

Ive gone for a BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery B-124X. Just need to figure out where to put it now.

steviekek

Feb 6, 2021
Scotland
Ive done some digging and the power medic pro wouldn’t cut the mark with the Formentor. As with my OBD powered supply they cut the engine off at 12V which still causes issues with the cars systems.

Ive gone for a BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery B-124X. Just need to figure out where to put it now.

There is not much room behind the glovebox but there's loads behind the panel to the right of the steering wheel

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
There is not much room behind the glovebox but there's loads behind the panel to the right of the steering wheel

Cheers, unfortunately the battery pack is too big for there and is going to be mounted underneath the passenger seat with all cables hidden to the dashcam and fuse box.

jackbarraclough5196

May 23, 2019
Lancashire

Is there not a settings option to change the turn off voltage for these? I know that thinkware cameras do, so I would have thought the more expensive BlackVue would?

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Is there not a settings option to change the turn off voltage for these? I know that thinkware cameras do, so I would have thought the more expensive BlackVue would?

The power pack controls the voltage but even with that shutting the Dashcams down when it gets to 12v, there are still system errors coming up on the car.

It seems the Formentor has power hungry systems.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
It lives its own life ;-) It installs updates downloaded earlier and probably a lot of other things. Communication module must be staying alive, so you can check car location.

I wonder how long it can survive not being used. There's probably some system switching everything off when battery goes too low.

jackbarraclough5196

May 23, 2019
Lancashire
The power pack controls the voltage but even with that shutting the Dashcams down when it gets to 12v, there are still system errors coming up on the car.

It seems the Formentor has power hungry systems.

That’s strange. Have you tried a different feed? Or a blank fuse would be even better. The feed you’re drawing from could be causing the errors... I’ve seen that often

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.