Gap by handbrake - stuff falls into that area

woozyuk

Nov 29, 2015
erith
when i am parked up at work and eat my lunch in the car, sometimes things fall into the area by the hand brake, the gap where u can see the mechanism underneath when the lever is up

is there something like the flexible gearstick "skirt" available for the handbrake?

thanks

VCbO0eO.jpg

Last edited:

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
As above the trim just squeezes off then use a 10mm spanner to adjust the cable shouldn't need to pull the hand brake that high up.

gray1978

Nov 12, 2015
Definitely too much slack in the cable. I hate a loose handbrake cable me!

I can only pull mine up 3 or 4 clicks.

woozyuk

Nov 29, 2015
erith
thank you all for the replies. where is th adjustable nut? also i got the car from a seat dealer in Dec and its been back there for its MOT and its always been like that

propane94

Bearded Ginger
Nov 15, 2012
Portsmouth
Not sure where the nut is but I find it rather odd they did not adjust it. But I suppose for an mot so long as it holds the car it is okay.

You could get either the centre plastic accessory that seat do (not sure if this would cover the gap) or make your own, but the problem there is the handbrake drops very low and having a cover may prevent the hand brake from being fully off.

Also the nut is free.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just a thought:- the handbrake cable will only need adjusting if it has stretched - on modern cars, the handbrake action is very light and the cable is a pre-stretched twisted Bowden cable, so unless someone has been a gorilla with it, I'd doubt if that is the problem!

I've forgotten, so has your car got rear drum brakes or rear disc brakes?

If it is rear drum brakes, then I'd expect that the auto adjuster wedge is not doing its job and the rear brakes need sorting out!

I'd never ever tighten up a cable to bring the handbrake travel down to 2 or 3 notches, unless that equates to a handbrake handle "angle when on" of 30 degrees - I'm adding that "get out" as some cars need the handbrake handle lifted quite a bit to reach the first notch. If you overtighten the cable, on certain suspension positions, the brakes will get applied a bit - even although it is a Bowden cable.

BTW, my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC has a handbrake that in my eyes is higher than it could be, and I know that the auto adjuster wedges seem to be seized, a job for the summer I'd think!

Last edited:

markm49uk

Oct 15, 2015
Hull,UK
thank you all for the replies. where is th adjustable nut? also i got the car from a seat dealer in Dec and its been back there for its MOT and its always been like that

MOT test is no more than 6 clicks to fully engaged - how many does your have?

britishsligean

Dec 23, 2014
Ireland
Had a similar thing on my mk 4, thought the handbrake cable was loose turned out the handbrake mechanism snapped off the chassis and needed to be welded back on

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
MOT test is no more than 6 clicks to fully engaged - how many does your have?

I checked on my daughter's Ibiza and it can be forced up to 6 clicks, at which point the end of that trim is visible. As I said earlier, I know that the auto adjusters have jammed but the handbrake does still work and is normally on 4 or 5 clicks.

I don't know exactly what the MOT wording is, but it used to be some thing like the handbrake needs to be able to hold the car and still have some travel in reserve.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.