Gas to start car

Apr 7, 2021
Recently i have been driving casually and yesterday my car didnt start after a few times kf trying. I then put the gas on and started the car and it worked. It was a hot day so i thought this was the issue so i disregarded it. However today again this same thing happened but my car this time was in a indoor parking lot for most of the day. Im wondering if this is a major issue and if i continue like this for a few weeks will it cause damage to my internal components etc.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
It could be a faulty engine coolant sensor that is causing the injection system to spray for too long, as is needed for a cold start, if you have been pushing the accelerator pedal fully down to the floor, that will be seen by the fuelling system as wide open throttle and doing this while the engine is turning but not yet running, will disable fuelling - and so that would allow you to flush out the over rich mixture and allow the engine to start.

Just a thought/suggestion.

Edit:- it could also be the EVAP solenoid valve, that has been reported in this forum a few times.

Another Edit:- ah you are the one with the "short fuel range" - so I'd be guessing it is the engine coolant sensor, or at least a good starting point.

Have you had this car serviced properly recently?

Apr 7, 2021
Hi mate,

I havent been flooring the gas when starting od even when driving, ive been gently tapping it. This has only happened twice to me so far today and yesterday as previously mentioned. Ive had the car serviced about 7weeks ago now soon after i bought the car so not too long ago. Do you reckon this is a big issue and would it cost a lot to fix.

I will look into the solenoid valve and coolant sensor a bit more and ask my local mechanic about this if this problem continues to happen.

Thanks again

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
What I was meaning that you might have been overcoming the over rich mixture when starting it by flooring the throttle, not that you were causing any of this by flooring the throttle at any time.

Really it is not worth guessing too much, any decent mechanic should be able to work out what is wrong when actually working on the car, really the same for cost, it should not be too nasty, good luck.

Apr 7, 2021
Ahh i see i understand that, thanks. Probably would be best just to get my mechanic to have a look at it.

Oct 2, 2019
Kent
I have this same issue on my Ibiza, will start up fine first thing and say will drive 5 mins away to get fuel, top it up and go to start it and will just tick over for the first couple of tries. will work the third time with some light pumping of the gas. seems to only happen when the car is hot. Hopefully having someone take a look soon.

Seen several posts, some about it being the starter motor or the purge valve etc.

Jun 9, 2021
Hi Folks, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? i seem to be having a similar issue on a 1.4tdi 2009, starts fine from cold but more difficult when it has hot.

Apr 7, 2021
Hi mate, i didnt find the issue but its been a while since the issue has happened again. The last it happened was when i posted the first thread. Seems to have just disappeared. Mechanic said there was no fault aswell

Oct 2, 2019
Kent
Hi Folks, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? i seem to be having a similar issue on a 1.4tdi 2009, starts fine from cold but more difficult when it has hot.
Hi Mate, I got a new purge valve in the end and swapped it out, Haven't had the problem since. hope that helps. would advise taking the old one out and swapping like for like with part number as some part sites advertise the wrong one will fit. so ended up ordering the wrong one the first time round.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.