Gear selection - Reverse to first

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Does anyone else have an issue with the reverse gear selector appearing to "stick"??

My FR184 if I push down on the gear stick, fully left and fully forward I get reverse - that's good!! however, once I've reversed out of the driveway, pull back and let it centre, then push fully left and forward again, I'm more often than not still in reverse.

I've never had this with any other car (inc a mk 1 leon and 2 mk2 Leons), and i'm not sure how it can be me causing it.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I have done it quite a few times after reversing, then try and slot ino first to find it has engaged reverse gear again which is a bit annoying.

I tend to knock into neutral for a second, then it goes into 1st just fine.
That is one of very few gripes I have with the car.
I much prefer reverse gear at bottom right by 6th gear like my old car instead of right next to first gear.
Mine is a 184 as well.

pardoe90

Sep 21, 2014
I think it is just when you rush and the lever has not fully popped up. I currently have a 10 plate ibiza fr which I am trading in on friday for a 63 leon fr and I do this all the time.

As sixysix said I just knock back to neutral hand off then back to first and its fine every time. Still do it every now and then, just the nature of having that mechanism for reverse.

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
Totally agree, I keep doing this and is quite annoying when you're in a rush, just hoping I don't get too close to something behind while reversing when then trying to pull away in first! It's a 184 too.
One of only a few niggles.

kingstonian

Jan 22, 2014
Athens | Greece
well in mine it is the opposite...
sometimes i select reverse, even people confirm that they see the reverse light on, and hear the park sensor beep.
but the car wll go forward....

so i guess i do not push the gear down enough, or have the clutch pressed without realising it?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.