Gearbox and power steering - coincidence or what's the link?

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
Really really weird thing just happened with BOTH my Leons.
Both getting difficult to change gear for different reasons, the diesel just needed adjusting and the petrol had a new clutch.
The petrol was originally bought for spares but had to be put on the road, long story, had been stood since last November - was all dry of engine oil and power steering fluid. Topped up with the PAS fluid I had and drove round to buy some engine oil - and the gear change was suddenly a LOT easier.
Then topped up the PAS fluid on the diesel, it was on min I put it up to max. A few months ago I went through all the reset thing releasing both ends etc and topped up gearbox oil and it made some difference but not huge, but since topping up the PAS fluid it's now perfect.
Does this make any sense at all to anybody? How does that work?

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
The power steering has nothing to do with the gear box as the power steering fluid just runs from the bottle to the pump in one end off the rack and out off the other and back up to the bottle
The gear box oil just stays inside the box no pops out or in
It’s just a strange one
The gear box oil could be that old and with been stood it just not doing its job well the more you use the car it may get better but I would think about swapping the oil out off the gear box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Maria

Maria

my mid-life crisis car
Jun 22, 2016
South-West
My thoughts exactly it shouldn't do anything and yet two cars ...! The petrol one hasn't been topped up with gear oil yet.
No other than acting on the same axle pair of wheels ... though I seem to think gear changes were even trickier on or just after a turn and there was one roundabout where I had to pull over and stop many times because I could not get 3rd coming out of it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members