Gearbox issue

Rich666

The video guy!
Aug 20, 2005
Leeds
www.richard-spawforth.com
Hi guys!
So had the old MK3 Cupra for many years now and its been a brilliant car! Just about to hit 100K and never had any real issues with it *touches wood* (and not the wood YOU are thinking lol)

Anyway, the gearbox has gotten a bit tetchy recently and it doesn't like changing gear as much as it used to especially at high revs? Also its a bugger to get in reverse! Its on the original clutch but seems to still pull ok....think its just on its last legs?

Any advice would be greatly received@! :D

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
A new clutch might help, is it grabbing fairly low down? That's what I was getting when the pressure plate wore out.
I suspect you might have a worn box though due to it being tricky up the revs, could get it reconed or pick up another one from a seat, skoda or vw. Maybe even use a tdi one if tuning, I've heard they can be good in some of the tuned petrols because of the ratios.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
If it's not regular it could be the pressure plate or maybe it's just needing bled, that's assuming yours is also hydraulic.

hixonseatboy

Nov 15, 2008
Hmm how easy to bleed.

I had my box changed as first made a horrible noise. Why was there had a 2nd hand cheap flywheel and clutch fitted. When picking the car up the garge said 3rd and 5th where stiff. But now 1st and 2nd are so stiff In the morning feels almost like ot wont go in. Bit soon as the box is warm it shifts no problem. 3rd gear is no longer stiff or is 5th but sometime 5 popes out when changing but will go straight back in and does not pop out when driving just on the change.

Any ideas?

hixonseatboy

Nov 15, 2008
Hmm that's a idea the place I went to is vw midlands heard good things but the box never felt right since had it done and they left the Speedo etc unplugged

hixonseatboy

Nov 15, 2008
Hmm how much does the box hold mite change it and do the re align all at same take see if it makes a difference

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Best to just get the proper stuff imo, should only take about 1.9L for a 5spd, a bit more for the 6spd if just doing an oil change.

I tried cheaper off the shelf oil first but regretted it, mate's the same with his 6spd, got the proper sort of stuff and we're both happy.

hixonseatboy

Nov 15, 2008
Cool will look see how much it will cost. Does the oil come out of these boxes if the shafts etc are taken out? Or is that sealed?