Gearbox oiil change

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Hey chaps,

Could someone help me out with some pictures of the drain plug and fill plug on the 1.4TDi gearbox? I'm having major issues with a stiff seletor and after 196k miles I think a gearbox oil change is the way forward, although I've got the car in the air but cannot identify the correct plugs and can't find any definitive info on the net. I did read somewhere that a special tool is also needed can anyone confirm please?

Your help is greatly appreciated :)

regards

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Right sorted it eventually here's some photos as these are seriously hard to find on the net hope these help others out:

Firstly get the car in the air and level I used 4 axle stands.

On the tdi both drain and fill nuts are 17mm Allen key like (inside):

image-3.jpg

Tools I used:

image-5.jpg

Hose going into fill hole for filling new oil obviously I recommend you take this nut off first:

image.jpg

Draining of oil:

image-4.jpg

Once drained replace nut and fill until it starts to leak out of the fill hole my gearbox took 1.5 litres from empty unfortunately the oil needs to be fully synthetic 75w90 and was not cheap i paid £11.66 a litre and that was discounted :( the worse part was getting the nuts off, hence the wd40 good luck :)

Last edited:

yid4life666

Took me hours to find answer to this kept reading you need special tool but thought it was a Allen key i just didnt have one big enough! good man for posting this : )

ianswebb

Did this solve the stiff selector? Im on 161k running a 1.4 petrol and mine is getting a bit cluncky.. wondering if a change will smooth things up a bit?