Gearbox Oil Change?

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Did a search but failed to bring up anything specific in either Leon or TDI forums, apologies if its been covered already!

Car has just clocked 80k miles and there's no record of the gearbox oil ever being changed and its getting a little stiff in 1st and 2nd, so figure a change of oil can't do any harm!

I know there's a drain somewhere near the bottom of the lump, just not sure where exactly! I've been taking a look through ETKA here but can't see anything yet. Anyone any guides of where to drain from and where to fill up again?

Ta in advance [B)]

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Statutory moan:

What engine? What gearbox?

On my TDI 110 (ASV engine EGS box) the drain plug is in the bottom of the diff casing

DogboneGBoildrain-1.jpg

and the filler/level plug is in the front face of the gearbox, close to the starter.

GBfill-and-level.jpg

You have to fill with the car on level ground, not with the front up on ramps or stands, because you fill it up until oil starts to run out of the filler/level hole. With the front end in the air you would overfill the box.

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Sorry mate, blonde moment there :ban:

Its a 90 AGR, unsure of gearbox if I'm honest. Will have to see if I can bribe someone with a pit/lift to let me at it! Are the plugs easy got out?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I've not done it on my current car, but if you have the right socket (large hexagons on this gearbox, others are different) then they should just come straight out.

Some VAG boxes have the filler/level plug in the end plate, accessible by removing the wheel.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise