Gearbox oil change?

tuan21

My Cupra, my life style
Feb 24, 2011
Italy
Do you think I have to raplace the gearbox oil ???

Sometimes is difficult to pass from 2 to 3 gear and the gear is very hard. Car 43500 miles and I like very much trackdays (so consider the very hard use of my CupraR)

some days ago I passed from 2nd to 1st rather than 3rd And that's why 3rd really don't want to enter easily!!! :cry::cry: so much fear....

thanks guys

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Can't seem to find any service interval for changing the oil on a manual gearbox on a Leon, only the DSG. Reading some articles, a lot of manufacturers claim it's no longer required due to modern oil, others say every 50k miles. The oil should be clean and cherry red in colour but very difficult to check on a manual without draining it. If it's going black or smells strongly, it should be changed.

Unless anyone else has better knowledge, I would check the level and top up if necessary. A full oil change should only be about 70-90 euros at a garage so not an expensive solution.

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
I would say that your issues are not due to the oil. Sorry but i assume your gearbox itself is damaged.

WeeG

Nov 5, 2008
Largs , Ayrshire
I find the cupra R gearbox notchy getting into gears when cold (1st-2nd). My LCR has done 19k and is going in for a full service and stage 2+ upgrade on friday. THis includes a gearbox oil change to better gearbox oil. I was recommended stage 2 + changin your gear box oil every 10-15k

Last edited:

POPOV

Jun 25, 2005
Sweden
Mine also feels notchy from first to second gear when cold outside. But i would assume that weather in Italy is not at the cold side this time of the year...

Changing the oil is worth a try

tuan21

My Cupra, my life style
Feb 24, 2011
Italy
Here 30+ degrees

note that:
-if I change gear at top rev 7000+ rpm 3rd not enter easy

-but if I change at 6000-6500 rpm have no problem..

-and this happen after clutch changing at33500 miles due to Revo map

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
There used to be a few complaints about this when running the Sachs upgraded clutch kit.
If you went to change at redline it would not go into gear and this was reported as a clutch fault.
I've never had this issue so can't comment.

Sent from my iPhone

FSiLeonMike

Barmy Army Reservist (TA)
Apr 26, 2007
Bury St Edmunds/Stowmarket-ish
I am having trouble from 1st to 2nd, been told the VW gear oil is sometimes a bit ****, having a change doe, replacing it with some Millers
Also gonna see if they will check and reset linkage if needed

bisto48

May 8, 2010
Oxford
Do you think I have to raplace the gearbox oil ???

Sometimes is difficult to pass from 2 to 3 gear and the gear is very hard. Car 43500 miles and I like very much trackdays (so consider the very hard use of my CupraR)

some days ago I passed from 2nd to 1st rather than 3rd And that's why 3rd really don't want to enter easily!!! :cry::cry: so much fear....

thanks guys

How about 4th to 3rd? That should be worse than 2nd to 3rd due to the synchroniser having to speed up the input shaft to match the ratio of 3rd gear.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.