GGRRRR 2SAFE Stereo - Help!!

multimum1

We took the battery off our 2002 Toledo TDI SE over the weekend to change the clutch.
(Used a conversion kit after seeing a thread on here! - BRILLIANT!!)

After connecting the battery we had to put in the radio code (standard Aura 6 disc CD Changer as fitted).. however I input the wrong code, so it went into safe mode....

Came up saying 2 SAFE. Left the radio switched off for an hour as per advice on here, and waited til 2000 came up. This is where we are stuck.
Have tried from 2000 - press prog - SAFE flashes then comes up again with 2000 - input code and press PROG til beep.... NO beep, SAFE flashes again the goes onto 2SAFE....

Where are we going wrong????
Have had to reset this car radio 3 times and it is really annoying... we are driving 250 miles to Southampton shortly with 3 kids in the car and DO NOT want to have no radio!!!!

Please, can someone help me.... before my husband explodes and smashes it to bits, or pulls out my eyeballs with a blunt knife!! (okay, a wee bit overexaggerated, but ----)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
As far as I recall, you don't have to press PROG first, just enter the code using the 1, 2, 3 and 4 keys.

multimum1

Hmmmmm... thats how I did it before... Then it locked again.. At 2000, do i just input the code, then what do I press???

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I've refreshed my memory from the Aura manual, and it says the process should be: -

Display should read "1000" or "2000" or perhaps "2 1000". If it says "SAFE", you have to wait.

Enter the code - press key 1 until the correct first digit is registered and so on.

i.e. if your code is 4321, press key 1 two or three times, key 2 three times, key 3 twice and key 4 once. The display reads "1000" or "2000" to start with, so the first digit needs to be looked at carefully.
The code number should be displayed on the radio display. If you get it wrong carry on pressing the key and the number will cycle through zero to let you get it right.

Press and hold the PTY - PRG key until you get a beep and the display reverts to "SAFE".

Last edited:

multimum1

Hoorah!!
I spoke to a lovely pair of chaps at JCT600 in Wakefield (the SEAT garage in Huddersfield is pants - they couldnt even tell me what clutch was in the car!), who had a chat with me about it. I WAAS doing everything right, but one of the blokes said that the code must be wrong. I said it was the one in the pre-delivery inspection report...
I pulled the stereo out (2 second job) got the serial number and they cross checked it for me... Lo and behold ___ the damned code was wrong... PAH!!
New and correct code inputted, bob's your uncle, I have a working stereo!!!!!!!
And all for free!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.