Got gremlins? SOLVED!!!!!!!

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yesterday morning i was off out with the other half.
Starts the car up and then switch on the AC as the car was like an oven.
LED screen working and can hear the AC pump cut in but no fan.
Takes 5 or 6 seconds to realise theres a problem and switch the fan off.
10 minutes into the journey i realise ive got no indicators. Check the washers/wipers and theyre not working either!
Get to our destination and leave the car for a couple of hours.

Gets back to the car and indis, washers and wipers working again but no fan.
Thismorning everything works inc the fan.

Anyone had this?

Cheers Rich

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Hi there. My girl's old Ibiza had something like that but it never got working again until I fixed it. The alternator was gone and when I left on a journey it started to kill wipers (yeah it was raining) then indicators no dials and then all light on the car died and it stopped. It drained all the juice from the battery. Maybe you could check the values from your battery with ignition on (must be between 14-15V).

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Will do but.....

Eveything else was fine. Central locking,dash dials windows etc etc...

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Can anyone help?
Just replaced the fan on my car and took the glove box out to get to it.

When i lifted the glove box out a piece of white plastic fell out.
Can not figure out how it attaches.

Anybody know?

Attachments

• 20200916_165649.jpg
    20200916_165649.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200916_165642.jpg
    20200916_165642.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 111

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Seems a piece from the ventilation shaft. Have you tried to open/close the interior air induction to see if it works?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yeh, everything seems to work ok.
Im thinking it goes between the glove box and the end of the dash.
But i tried loads of configurations yesterday and it didnt seem to fit anywhere.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Gremlins gone.

Put a new fan and resistor in last week and been using it loads.
Everything seems fine :)

Reactions: Woody_72

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yep, still fine although my passenger door speaker has started making a wierd noise. So that needs fixing or replacing.
If it isnt one thing, its another....

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Maybe the wiring back to the radio have been pulled for some reason. Easier to check the radio back connection first.
Or the Gremlin just found a new bedroom :)

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ok, just been to the local hand car wash.
Lost fan, indicators and washers/wipers again.
AC pump cuts in but no fan.
Hazzards and lights still working.
Looks like water ingress is my problem.
Scuttle panel off for a look?
Problem is i havnt got time to take a look this weekend but will have next Saturday.
Any tips where to be looking?
Last time it happened it was a nice sunny day so fingers crossed everything comes back on by monday as I'll be out the front door by 4.45am!

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Try the relays under the dash under the steering wheel. I had a bit of water ingress there, no idea how, and the pins on the relays were rusted. Dried the area, replaced the faulty relays with second hand ones and it was fine for years after.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Will do cheers.
Just been out to the car and everything is working again although the windows are all misted up (which is new).
I used to use the local car wash to my work but changed jobs a few weeks ago so used a new place close to home.
I wouldn't mind so much but now the car is dry its covered in crap patches!
Going to go to my old place of work next weekend and pull the scuttle panel off and take a look.

Rich

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Will do cheers.
Just been out to the car and everything is working again although the windows are all misted up (which is new).
I used to use the local car wash to my work but changed jobs a few weeks ago so used a new place close to home.
I wouldn't mind so much but now the car is dry its covered in crap patches!
Going to go to my old place of work next weekend and pull the scuttle panel off and take a look.

Rich

9a29ca6311c8346fc24083ff554fb92c.jpg

Sounds like it could be this. I sealed mine last weekend because I had water coming in but couldn't work out where from. It's also where you've got one of the main wiring looms coming through the bulkhead.

Looking at the car from the front, with the scuttle off, this is on the left hand side under the wiper motor. If water is getting in, it could be shorting the electrics you're talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Cheers Mr Mooks
Im going to take a look next Saturday. Just got back from crimbo shopping in town. All not working again!
Thick fog and misty windows. Plus no indicators so probably upset a few on the road.
Out again at just after 5am so fingers crossed they work then.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
Cheers Mr Mooks
Im going to take a look next Saturday. Just got back from crimbo shopping in town. All not working again!
Thick fog and misty windows. Plus no indicators so probably upset a few on the road.
Out again at just after 5am so fingers crossed they work then.

How does your carpet feel? Mine was moist on the left side where the wear pad under the pedals is and my doors are pretty well sealed.

I've had problems with misty windows but kept an Asda dehumidifier in the car to try to stop that. Trouble is it falls over when you drive and you end up with silica gel infused water on the carpet, and that's fun to try to get out.

If it was particularly bad after a wash, but has died down since, that could be it. Don't thank me though - Thai was the one who mentioned it. I'd have never thought of it otherwise.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It's weird how things happen to you after reading about them on these threads - maybe that's how the gremlins get passed on.

Got in the car on Saturday to do a big journey, and noticed that the stereo had totally reset and was back in demo mode like it comes from the factory (it's a Sony head unit). Then I noticed that the clock was about forty minutes slower than it should have been.

The battery is probably about three years old, but I remember having this happen with the head unit a few times over the years and just put it down to dodgy wiring on my part, but now it seems like it could be something more...

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
It's weird how things happen to you after reading about them on these threads - maybe that's how the gremlins get passed

Yeh, im waiting for my rear axle bushes to collapse lol

I drove my car to work yesterday morning and had a night away. Got back in my car at 4pm today and its still the same!
No suprise there i guess, its been damp foggy weather since it was washed.
No time to look at the car till the weekend but will be in daily use till then. Going to be a pain in the arris and will probably upset a few other road users with my lack of indicators ?

Reactions: iammooks

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
9a29ca6311c8346fc24083ff554fb92c.jpg

Sounds like it could be this. I sealed mine last weekend because I had water coming in but couldn't work out where from. It's also where you've got one of the main wiring looms coming through the bulkhead.

Looking at the car from the front, with the scuttle off, this is on the left hand side under the wiper motor. If water is getting in, it could be shorting the electrics you're talking about?

Going to reseal my cabin filter housing this weekend.
The PO had run an amp cable between the bulkhead and filter housing.
Madness eh?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ok, i finnished work early today so went to my old workshop for a look.
Items not working.
Washers, wipers front n rear
Indicators (but hazzards worked).
Interior fan.
Heated rear screen.

Moisture in a relay drivers side.
Pull the offside lower dash down. Fuse box cover off to expose 4 torx screws that need undoing. Another in the cubby hole in the lower dash section and one in the lower left corner.
Theres an oblong relay holder behind the lower dash.
2nd one in from the left was damp. Sprayed some connecor cleaner in there, waited 5 minutes then plugged the relay back in and everything came back to life :)

Going to remove the scuttle panel on Saturday and have a re-seal session in there.

Happy Happy Happy :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members