Got my RAID LED lights tinted (few pics)

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
After getting my RAID LED lights, and putting them on, i liked them, then over time, I thought they were all a bit shiny. So found a website called clearblack who were handily not far from me in Bristol. £40 later and here are the results...

Finish is great, service was great. I think the result is much more appealing then before and suits the colour much better...

off12pg.jpg

off20ra.jpg

off35ih.jpg

off49lz.jpg

on16ub.jpg

on25nc.jpg

on49hg.jpg

Also, removed the turbo badge which had some positive comments (not) and jigged the others, so now the car's arse is much more pleasing on the eye :rolleyes:

Cheers.

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Works very well especially with your wheels and the colour of your car.

Ive got the RAID ones but still with the OEM look, and at first thought they looked a little on the large size, like the car was on steroids or something... but got used to them and now like them alot.

BTW, hopefully i'll have a fix for the glowing high level brake light over the next couple of days... unless youve got it sorted allready.

Rob

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
Cheers for the comments chaps :)

Aphix, i've not sorted the glowing sadly. The reduced voltage also gives me a warning light (coil light) which is the management system telling me the stop lights have blown (obviously they haven't, but the car doesnt know that!).

Hopefully a solution to the glowing 3rd brakelight will also sort the warning light on my car. It only flashes when driving with the lights on incidedently.

I know J@mes has tried all sorts of solutions (diodes, resistors etc) with no luck. What plan do you have? :think:

Spanky, the lights are arouind £160 from raid uk.

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
I saw what j@mes did and had a quick word with him.. im lucky to have a workshop manager who used to design TV's for Sony.. he had a llook and we tried a few things.. ordered some resistors up on Friday.. hes confident they should work so we'll see.

I should of found out what values j@mes used;... so im not going over covered ground, but its too late now.. just have to wait :)

Im hoping they'll turn up today. But we've had a funny few days so might have to wait till tomorrow.

Rob

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
they really suit your car, looks like they have done a very good job aswell.
has anyone contacted raid about these issues? its silly they sell something that causes this problem. i would like a set but wouldnt get them if they give me any hassle.
mark

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
Aphix - I think james tried a pair of 1 ohm resistors.

We both contacted Raid about the issues - they were very coy about it saying they throughly check the physical aspects of their stock, but obviously can't check every pair of lights on every car. The fact that the units don't have built in resistors to prevent warning lights and leaking voltage getting to other components seems pretty ropey to me. But then they do look nice and its only small problems - i think the good outweighs the bad... [B)]

Saying that, i would really like to get it sorted out, i don't want to be getting pulled over...

Last edited:

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
i think it looks cool, but am a bit worried that it might cause a problem, im sure if someone went into the back of me they would argue that my brake lights where constantly on... so didnt see when they did come on. or something ridiculous like that.

anyway.. yeah we have gone slightly higher.. we think 6 ohms should just about do it.. but tracking down 6 ohm 50 watt resitors isnt exactly easy... so we are having to wire x2 12ohms in paralell.

Ill let you know as soon as i know if it works or not :)

Rob

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
it is a little bit retarded... this cant be 1 or two units which are doing this.. every single one must have this problem.

RAID probably never devleoped it on the car.. they just took the orginal lights and adapted them. tested them on a workbench etc...

Be interesting to know if this is just a SEAT issue, as there are numoerous other aftermarket LED lights for other cars... but maybe they dont replace the brake lights with LEDs.

Rob

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Right, the resitors turned up and we've wired them up and they do fix the problem.

The high level brake light doesnt glow when the side/full lights are on and the engine is started.

Before i post any pics i just want to test them a little.. only becuase the resistors do get hot. So cant be mounted on plastic or painted metal.

They come with massive heatsinks on them allready. So mounting them could be an issue.

Rob

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
dan ur lights suit ur car sooo much more now! :) very individual too! :yes:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
aphix said:
Right, the resitors turned up and we've wired them up and they do fix the problem.

The high level brake light doesnt glow when the side/full lights are on and the engine is started.

Before i post any pics i just want to test them a little.. only becuase the resistors do get hot. So cant be mounted on plastic or painted metal.

They come with massive heatsinks on them allready. So mounting them could be an issue.

Rob

thanks for ur PM rob! (i may have missed this thread otherwise! [:@] ) lol.

can i be cheaky and ask you to tell me where u got ur resistors from?!

do u think maplins will do 12ohm resistors?

and can you please draw a diagram/take a pic of how you wired them in?

im fed up with the amount of hassel and time iv put into trying to fix this problem that i have completely forgotten about the problem! (i love the lights that much! :rolleyes: )

but with ur help rob il get it sorted asap! ;)

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
just phoned maplins and they said they didnt do 12ohm resistors! they wanted to know the wattage

they do do a 6.8ohm (10w) and 8.2ohm (10w) resistor, both 25p each

rob... think il have to use the same ones u used! ;)

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
J@mes said:
thanks for ur PM rob! (i may have missed this thread otherwise! [:@] ) lol.

can i be cheaky and ask you to tell me where u got ur resistors from?!

do u think maplins will do 12ohm resistors?

and can you please draw a diagram/take a pic of how you wired them in?

im fed up with the amount of hassel and time iv put into trying to fix this problem that i have completely forgotten about the problem! (i love the lights that much! :rolleyes: )

but with ur help rob il get it sorted asap! ;)

its cool :D

Im bashing together a photoshop picture so you can see how i wired them up... maplins didnt have any when i asked.. i got mine from CPC.

I ordered 2 more than i needed.. convenient wasnt it ;)

Give me a sec :D ive got an hour at work to kill so ill have something :D

Rob

danthemanwhocan

Jul 19, 2005
Somerset
cheers J@mes :) I agree, they're much better now the blingy chrome has been eliminated.

Aphix, do you reckon your resistor setup will sort my diagnostics light also?

A step by step guide to installation would be appreciated also, i'm not the words most adept electrition!

Thanks,
Dan.

aphix

Sep 5, 2005
Camberley, Surrey
Right this is what i did..

doodle.jpg

It appears to work by just having 1 12ohm resitor on one side, but ive done the same on both sides... i did ask why we couldnt only just have one.. but my workshop manager said it would probably heat up too quick.

I wanted to just hold off on writing a step by step guide.. only becuase im a tad concnered by how warm they get.. and dont want to be responsible for turning your beautiful motor into a smoldering pile of black stuff.

Ill take a pic tonight.. havent got a clue how i get pics of my phone onto the inter-supernetway

Rob

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members