green cotton panel filters

Cupra-cal

Aug 30, 2008
Penicuik
as i want to go down the route of smoothing the air box rather than an open cone/induction filter,i was wondering what is the best price (including delivery) that anyone has paid for one of these? its for a 2004 leon cupra 180hp. cheers callum

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Well i just paid about 50 notes including delivery for a green panel filter off ebay (the only one on there for some reason?) but i know Badger 5 does them a bit cheaper lol! Hindsight is a wonderful thing! Check out his section and have a word mate. :)

Paul B2010

Jan 17, 2010
Ive just bought one, two week ago-ish for 48 pound inc delivery. Found on the net, company called waxacar. To be honest the name came as a surprise to me as i thought i had bought from the manufacturers, very convincing web page. It was only the email confirmation that threw me! Anyhow they were cheaper than the manufacturer prices in the end, and despite scaring me with the small print after further inspection, that delivery could be within 28 days, the filter was with me within 3 days. It just so happened they weren't a million miles away from me either, so i did pop in, as a result of my concerns, but the part had already been despatched. Words from waxacar themselves, this particular panel filter is usually overstocked due to popularity, but other models could very well take time to arrive.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
got mine from halfords a few years back for £35 with one of their 10% discount vouchers. It did have to be ordered in though. Worth considering the cleaning and oil you need for these filters. If you can find a proper dealer maybe you can try and haggle a small discount for the whole lot.
Adam

Metblue

did changing the filter have any noticeable results? :think: was it worth changing?

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
post remap RR figures would suggest so with a good increase in torque and small increase in BHP if the RR can be trusted that is. As for actual measurements it will definitely flow better but by how much i am not sure i know someone else on here did some logs and it was definitely worth it and afterall its a small price to pay so even if it wasnt overly effective you have a life time filter.

Twiggy86

New Here, Old There
Mar 2, 2010
Stockport
did changing the filter have any noticeable results? :think: was it worth changing?

Well when i changed mine the MISSUS rang me and asked me what i had done as the car felt more responsive and more alive when she went to set off. I didn't tell her i was doing anything, so in my eyes that is enough for me to say that it will make a SMALL difference, not a massive one.

Paul B2010

Jan 17, 2010

Nice noises coming from under the hood now! Ive not put the radio on since i fitted it! A week or two prior to that i fitted the 007 dv, and to be honest, i noticed more of a difference in perfomance with this, than i did with the filter fitted. In actual fact, since fitting it, my hesitation problem at low revs when cold, has come back with a vengeance, but i can't put it down to the filter as yet, im refusing to believe it could be this, but i'm going to revert back to stock one temporarily to see what the outcome is. But the noises..... sweet!

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
I think the ducting will make the increase in noise although i did mine all at the same time it was marginally louder.

As for cleaning and re oiling that is why they are long life filters because you can maintain them. Leaving them in without any maintenace could lead to reduced performance as the oil is necessary to catch the crap that tries to go through the system and cleaning will unblock the cotton gauze. It isnt too often though like every 6-10k or something but very well worth keeping on top of.

Metblue

Well when i changed mine the MISSUS rang me and asked me what i had done as the car felt more responsive and more alive when she went to set off. I didn't tell her i was doing anything, so in my eyes that is enough for me to say that it will make a SMALL difference, not a massive one.

sounds worthwile for the small amount of £££. I searched e-bay without any result... any ideas on websites for getting a good price for the green cotton filter?

Cupra-cal

Aug 30, 2008
Penicuik
i ve gone for one from bill at badger5.ordered it the other day and should arrive tomorrow.i searched a few places and 50 pound seems like a standard price for everyone.that was including delivery.

&rew

That's what she said
Nov 13, 2006
Ipswich, Suffolk
How essential would you say this would be mate?

Definitely essential!

I cleaned mine a few weeks ago, you wouldn't believe the amount of crap that was in it. They do say on the box every 6 months or xx amount of miles. I'd say I notced a difference but it was probably a placebo effect. One thing is for sure though, if the filter is blocked up with crap (I found a whole dead wasp in mine) it isn't sucking air properly!

I got mine for just under £50 I think last year from Badger5

jaybeee

[e]
Feb 24, 2006
Belfast
www.metalrhino.com
When I bought my green cotton panel filter I also bought the spray can to re-oil. I didn't buy the cleaner though. I have cleaned my filter a while back and think I just used clothes washing powder/liquid to clean it first. Whilst I know a specific filter cleaner is the best option, I assume using washing powder/liquid is fine too? Or are there are any other suggestions?

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
^ some sort of de-greaser thats water souluble for example (AG engine and machine cleaner)