Halfords Stereo Dispute - am i right?

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
I have just ordered a new Alpine headunit for the VRS so that I can use the iPod through the stereo controls. No problems there. I had expected to need the wiring loom adaptor and dash mounting kit; OK. However, I have just had a heated five minute 'debate' with a pushy little twat behind the audio desk about me not wanting to order the radio signal booster upgrade which he was insisting i must have as part of the fit - £19.50!.

I had a similar Alpine stereo in my Pug GTI and before that, my old Fiesta Si (it finally finished up in my mates BMW 525 when i bought the Leon) - no problems with the signal at all just plugging the ariel connector straight into the back of the stereo in each of the cars, perfect signal - hence me being reluctant to believe that all i will get is 'White Noise' (actual quote) without it. The little sod then added something along the lines of 'well, when its fitted, and you have no radio at all don't come back and say i didn't warn you; you'll have to pay for a refit'. My Arse.

Now, I would like to get my facts 100% straight before I go back into Halfords to have it all fitted, and at the same time have a word in the littles scrotes managers ear about the hard sell, and the difference between lies and fact. Someone please tell me that I'm not wrong about the extra signal booster not being an essential part of the fit.

Preparing to go to Halfords to either be embaressed, or to get more lairy than is probably reasonable....

k11jrp

old and wiser
You dont need one m8, kick his teeth in. I have an Alpine HU, no need for a booster at all. Why the hell are you going to Halfords anyway, cheaper off the net!! I hope your not getting them to fit it???? They twist wires together and use scotch locks..ewwwww.

mr. Hedgehog

Has gone to the Darkside
Nov 1, 2004
Malvern
Jan Sale, free fitting - me lazy.

Knew he was a liar - i'll chuck him through the antifreeze display and make him admit he's scum.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
they are trained to do this because: usually people that walk into halfords and get stuff fitted by them ,have no clue what they are doing,or you wouldn't be there in the first place :D

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
nooooooo.... ah well :(

The pushy t*at in halfords told me i HAD to have the halfords wiring loom for my stereo when i went to take it back. "We have had 3 passats catch fire due to incorrect wiring. The stereos have multiple 12v signals and if you dont connect them all they catch fire"

:censored:

What a LOAD OF SH*T - swap the +12v and switched power and it works fine. No catching fire.
Admittedly I was stupid enough to buy a loom in the first place cos I didnt think my stereo would come with its own, but couldnt take it back cos I lost the receipt.

Final score 1:1 i think :(

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
They are a bunch of absolute :w4nk: at halfords. My mums car cd player knackered, took it back, said they had repaired it. HAD THEY BOLLOX. Then blamed me for fitting it wrong, which i hadnt. Its hardly rocket science. Whatever you do dont let the spotty oiks at halfords have your car, they left a mess of cut wires and stuff hanging out all over in my mates , plus a bon jovi greatest hits cd went 'missing'

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
When you say radio signal booster, do u mean the tubular kinda shaped power supply?

I fitted one of them to mine to get the best signal possible, all the time. The "booster" supplies power to the actual amplifer thats in the base of the aerial. If you dont give it power, it doesnt work. The Std headunit DOES have a power supply for this amp as it is built into the headunit itself.

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
Yup its exactly what pabs said.

That "booster" thing just puts a DC bias on the signal cable that goes up to the antenna which powers the amp. Running without one can cause shocking levels of sensitivity depending on the stereo you have.

stuart_hatch

Poor Student
Aug 28, 2005
Glasgow
I think you do need one actually, the stock H/U comes with one built in, i get worse radio reception with my £600 odd JVC unit then the stock one, so i belive a radio amp is required

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
the answer is, basically, you CAN run with OR without the booster. If you are happy with the reception without, then BONUS! If not, then you will need to rip it out and put the booster in.

Up to you, but £20 seems a tad expensive - esp. seeing the link provided above!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Also, if you intend on changing that huge whip of an aerial for a stubby one in the future, then i recommend the booster. I have the civic stubby aerial on mine now.

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
This post made me laugh from start to finish, i work for halfords in the aintree branch and i can asure you there is alot of idiots fitting radio's throught the company as we recieve alot of **** ups from other stores, but i we are not all :w4nk: as some of you put it and we have the 3 of the best fitters for the company in the north west (myself included) and all customers leave our store pleased with the quality and experiance of our fitting staff. Anyways rant over i agree halfords is :w4nk: and the sooner i get out the better :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise