Hands Free problem

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
I have a 63 plate 5door FR. When I use the Bluetooth connected hands free the recipient of my call has great difficulty in hearing me, however they can hear the passenger clearly.
I have raised this with Seat UK and they have told me that if the car has an alarm- don't they all - then the hands free microphone is on the left hand side of the interior light moulding! My local dealer has shown me the technical images for the moulding.
It would appear to me that as the car was originally designed as a Left hand drive vehicle that this microphone position was overlooked when the Right hand variant was developed.
I await Seat UKs further comments with interest!
I now understand why voice prompt instructions are difficult.
Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
I've had three Mk3's so far don't recall this with any or at least it wasn't fed back as an issue, when my wife uses the cars never an issue hearing, in fact she called from ours yesterday and it was clear.

Hope you get it sorted.

TMO

Feb 15, 2008
Stafford, Staffs
I've had a couple of times where it couldn't do the right thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the mic was mounted on the left hand side, typical Seat cost cutting.

Havsgaard

Jan 15, 2014
Denmark
I once had complaints about that as well - and do mind my steering is in left side - but my passenger in the right was going through clearly.

andrewpain

Jul 5, 2014
Meppershall Beds.
bluetooth in my 63 plate FR ST works just fine hands free. Again - far better than I actually expected it to be.
voice prompts are pretty accurate - surprisingly so. Phone, satnav are all I've tried it on but I'm not complaining. I'd get it to a dealer - maybe a problem with the mic.

Monsoon

Dec 13, 2013
When the mother in law rings I have great difficulty hearing her on the hands free ;)

Wheels

Oct 19, 2014
Monsoon, I think mine may also have a few issues in that general 'in law' area. Must be a glitch or something?

Oliverr

Oct 27, 2014
I tried the hands free out last night and it works perfectly.
My partner couldn't even tell I was calling from the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CR59OSS

Jan 27, 2017
Glasgow
I have a 63 plate 5door FR. When I use the Bluetooth connected hands free the recipient of my call has great difficulty in hearing me, however they can hear the passenger clearly.
I have raised this with Seat UK and they have told me that if the car has an alarm- don't they all - then the hands free microphone is on the left hand side of the interior light moulding! My local dealer has shown me the technical images for the moulding.
It would appear to me that as the car was originally designed as a Left hand drive vehicle that this microphone position was overlooked when the Right hand variant was developed.
I await Seat UKs further comments with interest!
I now understand why voice prompt instructions are difficult.
Is anybody else experiencing this problem?

Did you ever manage to get this resolved? I just bought a 16 plate Leon FR and I'm having the same issue. Ive tried different phones and still getting the issue. If im stationary they can hear me fine but as soon as I start driving theres a rattling/crackling noise that the person im talking to hears and the faster i drive the worse it gets.

I took my car into a seat dealer today and they ran "diagnostic tests and drove it at 50mph and it was clear as day". Apparently their diagnostic tester found no fault so they cant change any parts as it may ruin the warranty... Personally I think they just ran diags saw everything was fine and never bothered their arse doing any other checks. As soon as i drove it out the garage and phoned someone I was having the same issue.

I dont think its an electrical fault as it works when im stationary, i think somethings loose and rattling around when my car moves... but who am i to say, im not a mechanic.

Going to have to book it back in and make sure they do the tests that I do so they can hear the issue.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I dont think its an electrical fault as it works when im stationary, i think somethings loose and rattling around when my car moves... but who am i to say, im not a mechanic.

Going to have to book it back in and make sure they do the tests that I do so they can hear the issue.

When you go back ask to go out in the car with the tech so that you can demonstrate the problem.

exmgman

Nov 30, 2009
I went through all this with the dealer. Always came back "no fault found"! Gave up!
I came to the conclusion in the end that as the car was primarily designed for left hand drive this is root of the problem. We have found that if the passenger is speaking then the person called can hear much better. The microphone is positioned in the roof mounted interior lights/switches moulding and I assume that this is biased towards the left hand side and this did not get changed when the right hand drive "modification" was version was introduced.
It would be interesting to find out if the equivalent VW Golf and Audi models suffer the same way.

CR59OSS

Jan 27, 2017
Glasgow
I went through all this with the dealer. Always came back "no fault found"! Gave up!
I came to the conclusion in the end that as the car was primarily designed for left hand drive this is root of the problem. We have found that if the passenger is speaking then the person called can hear much better. The microphone is positioned in the roof mounted interior lights/switches moulding and I assume that this is biased towards the left hand side and this did not get changed when the right hand drive "modification" was version was introduced.
It would be interesting to find out if the equivalent VW Golf and Audi models suffer the same way.

I'm determined not to give up as I'm going to have this car for the next 4 years :D You would think if it was the position the mic was in then everyone would have this issue and not just certain cars :cry:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise