Hard surface boot

damon6uk

1.2 nahh cupra
Oct 15, 2010
Kingston upon hull E.Yorkshire
I work at a place where we have a lot of spare wood
And was looking at the boot yesterday and I hate the fact that it delves in where the spare wheel is
And was wondering if I put the cloth over a sheet of 12mm sheet and cut it useing the cloth as a template would I suffer in away once it's in?

Apr 12, 2010
Just about every other car I've had has had a bit of hardboard type stuff under the carpet

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I would say 12mm is a bit thick - 6mm would be better.

Also - you dont want the wood the exact shape of the carpet.
If you look at the two corners nearest the tailgate - they need to be floppy to get passed the arches when lifting the carpet.

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
I've made dividers (about 3" high), to keep all my bits of junk apart, covered by 3mm ply, which, with the dividers under it, is quite adequate. I sometimes think I carry too much rubbish, but I like to have first aid kit, jump leads, tools etc with me.

damon6uk

1.2 nahh cupra
Oct 15, 2010
Kingston upon hull E.Yorkshire
I would say 12mm is a bit thick - 6mm would be better.

Also - you dont want the wood the exact shape of the carpet.
If you look at the two corners nearest the tailgate - they need to be floppy to get passed the arches when lifting the carpet.

I see also I need a cut out need the rear seat for that hinge that's for pointing that out
Also would I need anything underneath the wood to stop the rattle

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I see also I need a cut out need the rear seat for that hinge that's for pointing that out
Also would I need anything underneath the wood to stop the rattle

The one I saw done was only 3mm plywood - the boot carpet was stuck on one side and some cheap black carpet was stuck to the underside.

I guess the underside carpet was for the rattle prevention.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Is it as simple as it sounds

It looked very simple - just a 3mm piece of plywood with carpet on both sides.

Just make sure the plywood floor you make fits and can lift up fully before you attach the carpet.

I was going to do my MK4 but changed the car to a MK5 and that has a hard boot surface as standard.

Apr 14, 2011
i used 18mm mdf haha just drew round the boot carpet and cut with a jigsaw mainly 18mm to put my sub into the spare wheel well

Deleted member 77040

I was thinking this myself.. There was me thinking the previous owner had taken it out as every other car I've had has had the hard flooring! Looks **** without n the carpet just left to sit on the spare wheel

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
To Damon - Sorry, no pics - I've had spectacular failure trying to post these before, so gave up. All you'd see is a sort of maze, with various sizes of compartments to suit the occupants. Being a sympathetic soul, I put vinyl flooring under the wood to stop it rubbing or clonking.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.