Has anyone improved their door seals?

Dec 19, 2019
Estonia
I've noticed that the door sills get more dirt on my Leon than any other car I've owned before. Today when I was cleaning the door seals because of the creaking issue*, I inspected the seals and saw an interesting sight – the seals at the bottom of the doors aren't even touching the sills.

Has anyone here discovered that issue before and/or tried to improve the door seals / add more seals to their Mk3 Leon? If yes, please report the results.

* The door seals creaking issue can be resolved with cleaning the seals with a special agent. You should steer away from any silicone-containing agents as I was told the maintenance expert at the dealership.

Attachments

• IMG_6888.jpeg
    IMG_6888.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_6886.jpeg
    IMG_6886.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 281

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
That is shocking!! I also noticed this with my Leon, didnt realise the seals were not even doing anything

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Knowing the quality of seats trim levels, the door is probably sitting too high... What's the seals like along top of the door?
Yeah, nope.. Just checked my door sills and they are filthy too.... Seals don't touch the sills at all... Good thing is no contact = no creaking... Lol......

Last edited:

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
It's 10 months old. I complained to the dealership's head of maintenance unofficially cause I know him a bit. He said that the two Leons he has in the family have the same issue. And that it's a cheap car, so it's normal. :LOL:
Top Quality. I did notice on my 2018 Leon some questionable items of quality.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
It's 10 months old. I complained to the dealership's head of maintenance unofficially cause I know him a bit. He said that the two Leons he has in the family have the same issue. And that it's a cheap car, so it's normal. :LOL:
That's an excuse that would wear thin pretty quickly, given a Cupra is the best part of £30K, which by my reckoning ain't a cheap car.

NotificatorZeth

Aug 10, 2018
Estonia
Three out of four were actually fine on mine. There was a minor gap on one seal (less than or equal to a millimetre) for the lenght of about 10cm, so not ideal.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Is the creaking seal issue not with the seal across the top of the door with the ‘flocked’ finish on the inner? This is where mine creak when I apply pressure to the door frame.

In terms of the door seal design, I only noticed this when I had my A3, and more recently BMW - both of these cars have a double set of seals; one around the door aperture (similar to the Leon), and the other around the entire door (unlike the Leon which is top/bottom only).

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members