Headlight bulb replacement?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you have some Torx screwdriver bits then it's fairly easy to take the bumper off, then you can take the headlights out - each headlight is held in with 4 screws, the lower 2 being covered by the bumper.

If you have the factory HIDs then bumper removal is the only option, as the headlamp units are deeper and the covers are screwed on.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
My drivers' side dipped beam light is out. I've attempted to get the clips off the cover, can't even manage that without scraping my knuckles. Should I admit defeat and try to get the dealer to fit it? :p

<hangs head in shame>

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Unless you've got huge hands it should be fairly easy, but I do reckon it's a lot easier if you take the top and side (front) cover off the battery. It takes two minutes if that and gives you a valuable extra inch or so.
I tried and gave up when initially replacing a bulb on the passenger side and after getting that advice to remove the covers, the whole job took less than 10 mins.

It's best not to touch the glass of the bulb when changing it as you'll shorten it's life, so either just handle it be the metal base or wear latex gloves. Also note which way the bulb comes out, so you can get the new one in without having to rotate it until it slots home.

Also, if you can't get the clips off for removing the back cover, have you tried slipping a large screwdriver in and levering it off, or using some pliers to pull it off. Just be careful not to deform it.

Last edited:

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
u should when a bulb blows replace both sides...The best normal bulbs are "Osram Silverstars" for the most light on the same wattage they get 5 stars and only one other set of bulbs got this and that was a phillips on a higher wattage...

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Unless you've got huge hands it should be fairly easy, but I do reckon it's a lot easier if you take the top and side (front) cover off the battery. It takes two minutes if that and gives you a valuable extra inch or so.
I tried and gave up when initially replacing a bulb on the passenger side and after getting that advice to remove the covers, the whole job took less than 10 mins.

It's best not to touch the glass of the bulb when changing it as you'll shorten it's life, so either just handle it be the metal base or wear latex gloves. Also note which way the bulb comes out, so you can get the new one in without having to rotate it until it slots home.

Also, if you can't get the clips off for removing the back cover, have you tried slipping a large screwdriver in and levering it off, or using some pliers to pull it off. Just be careful not to deform it.

Top tip from Keefy.:thumbup:

My driver's side bulb went last week and I bought one from the Skoda garage down the road and replaced it with no problems. Last night the passenger side went so I got one from Halfords and, following Keefy's tip about removing the battery covers, replaced it in about ten minutes. The hardest part was getting the outer light cover clip back on. Some sort of wire hook would help here.

Interestingly, the Skoda bulb was £2 cheaper than the Halford's one. Strange that, after three and a half years, they both went within a week of each other.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
It's the clips that's more a problem than anything else. Got someone with stronger fingers than me to unclip them and changed it!

To remove them I put a screwdriver under the clips and pushed them backwards and outwards at the same time. It's easier than just trying to push them sideways and they came off easily. There isn't much room to get your finger beside the outer clip to push it on when you replace it. It's difficult to apply sufficient pressure. That's why I think a hook would be useful.

i__b_ibiza

Old thread or not, this has helped me to unravel the 'Which bulb have I got?' mystery before I actually take the bulb out and get into the 'how does all this come apart/go back together?' scenario. Thanks guys - much appreciated :D

'05 plate Ibiza sport TDi 100 - both low beams gone within a week of each other - looks like its got single reflector bulbs (only one bulb in the enclosure, high beam OK) - despite the local dealer telling me on the phone that "It's like it shows you in the manual (i.e. two seperate bulbs)"! Autobulbs direct site also shows the two seperate bulbs for an '05 Ibiza.

markie123

is their a right way for the bulbs to align in the headlight, mine look like they are pointing upwards after replacing??

markie123

anyone got a photo?
they dont seem to fit correctly which ever way you rotate them.?
Should the bulb be vertical or horzontal in the headlamp?

Stiglet

Feb 12, 2010
Surrey
Bulb replacement on front lights is easy. Just take your time that's all. As for sidelights use a pair of long nosed pliers to get bulb out. Simples !!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
is their a right way for the bulbs to align in the headlight, mine look like they are pointing upwards after replacing??

Merry Christmas, what I ended up doing, and I've changed these bulbs every 2>3 years - as you can't usually keep control of the bulb as its coming out due to the pain in your hands - is, with the old bulb out, have a good look at it from the front taking a mental note of where any obvious "bumps" are on the old bulb, look where the same features are on the side that is still fitted (so should be correct), and try to get the new bulb in in the same orientation. Rotating them randomly in the fitting does not seem to give you a good idea of which position is correct.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As for sidelights use a pair of long nosed pliers to get bulb out. Simples !!

I found that the problem there was not knowing if the fitting needed twisting or just pulling out - I seem to remember that it was best to try to tilt it in many directions to make sure that it was free to come out, then pull back the extended holder complete with bulb.

Oct 19, 2020
is this thread still active? would like to replace my halogen bulbs with either xenon or led bulbs but not too sure about the fittings
its a 04 1.9 tdi
would it be the h4 and h7 bulbs which i would need to purchase?
thanks

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
is this thread still active? would like to replace my halogen bulbs with either xenon or led bulbs but not too sure about the fittings
its a 04 1.9 tdi
thanks
Look at your headlights. If you have 2 seperate bulbs it is H7. If you have 1 bulb it is H4. Lower spec cars have H4 single bulb (read the thread fully..). Xenons are now illegal in UK and an MOT failure unless you have a Seat setup. I always change out my dip beam Xenon for MOT time and run a "normal" colour (4300k ?) so it is not too blue for the boys in blue..

MrQ

Feb 5, 2016
its a 04 1.9 tdi
thanks
Also, be ware about LED bulbs, their diode height MUST be the same as your halogen wire inside the bulb. Thickness of LED bulb, where dids are (on both sides) should be as small as possible (1,5 mm best), in short, they MUST be the same as halogen, otherwise your lightpattern will be crappy. Any LED bulb under 100 quid is not worth it!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise