Headlight question

Cupra300AS

Aug 13, 2020
I have a headlight question. When the lights are switched on should the lights move up and down and then settle in their normal position? I am only asking as I had a 2018 1.8 TSI Leon before with the tech pack and the lights would move before settling in the normal position. My E46 M3 lights do the same.
I find the lights to be not as good as my previous Leon and wondered if something had broken. My car is a 2017 Cupra 300 and the lights appear to be the same as my previous car. Any help thoughts are appreciated.

Deleted member 123864

All xenon or LED headlamps do that, required by law. Also should have headlamp washers. Self levelling headlamps would also do it. Quick way to know is if you have a level adjustment knob, if not then it should do it.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
There's a huge difference between the pre and post facelift led headlights, the pre are only about as bright as halogen but the post are nearly as good as the best xenon. If your '17 plate has the indicator as a separate bulb at the top then it's pre (first image) if the DRL changes to an indicator then it's post (second image).

IMG_20200808_200507.jpg
IMG_20200808_200512.jpg

Reactions: redtee34

Cupra300AS

Aug 13, 2020
@Cupra300AS
can you confirm the type of headlights you have?

I have a 2017 facelift model. Went and checked tonight and turned the lights on and they don’t sweep. They appear to be pointing at the ground quite close to the car. The DRL changes colour on my car. My E46 M3 has adjusters on the front and rear suspension and when they break the lights don’t move.
I guess it’s a trip to the dealers to see what they say. I have a 2 year warranty on the car.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The lights will sweep up just once each time when the engine is started, you would only notice this if the lights were already on.

The Leon has a very simple leveling system, one sensor on the rear suspension, but there should be an error message if it's stopped working. Most people find the lights are just set too low on the manual adjuster, so if the leveling system is working you might like to try raising then a little as per the guides here.

Reactions: BillyCool

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
As @BoomerBoom if you start the engine, then turn the headlights on shortly after, you would miss the sweep. However if you are on auto-lights, turn ignition, (headlights on already), then start the engine, then only it would do the up/down motions. In most cases car manufacturers would set their lights at the lower specturm of what's acceptable, and sometime they may fall down over time. I guess that's what the manual adjusters are for. Just park in front of a wall 10m or so, put a blue tac or tape where it cuts off, and raise it a little, and see how it goes... remember, 1 cm raise on the wall, over a distance may be quite siginificant...

Cupra300AS

Aug 13, 2020
As @BoomerBoom if you start the engine, then turn the headlights on shortly after, you would miss the sweep. However if you are on auto-lights, turn ignition, (headlights on already), then start the engine, then only it would do the up/down motions. In most cases car manufacturers would set their lights at the lower specturm of what's acceptable, and sometime they may fall down over time. I guess that's what the manual adjusters are for. Just park in front of a wall 10m or so, put a blue tac or tape where it cuts off, and raise it a little, and see how it goes... remember, 1 cm raise on the wall, over a distance may be quite siginificant...

I have a lock up and put the car in there yesterday morning. I came to move the car in the afternoon, turned the lights onto auto and turned the car on. The lights didn’t move. My old Leon 68 plate you saw the lights move when they were turned on.
Thanks for the advice.

Aug 13, 2020
There's a huge difference between the pre and post facelift led headlights, the pre are only about as bright as halogen but the post are nearly as good as the best xenon. If your '17 plate has the indicator as a separate bulb at the top then it's pre (first image) if the DRL changes to an indicator then it's post (second image).

View attachment 18170 View attachment 18171
Any ideas how much it would cost to get LED headlights for a mk3 Leon? Can you fit post-facelift ones to a pre-facelift Leon?

Eskilation

Dec 3, 2017
Bucks
There is a link on the site will try to find a lot of facelift owners needed to tweak the lights up a little after dealers said they ok. 1/2 or 1/4 of a turn and they are amazing and no flashes from other drivers. Might be worth a try.

Found it

Headlight adjustment ,

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members