Headlight warranty

themonky

Jun 20, 2013
Headlight warranty Leon 2012 both lights are full of condensation will be going in for a service soon has anybody had this done under warranty ? also rear near side door seal ?
Any TPI numbers for these :shrug:

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverhampton
Good look with getting it changed, my xenon is full of water and I have sent pictures to seat uk and they have refused to do it, they say its completely normal.

themonky

Jun 20, 2013
might just take mine to an MOT Station and see what they say !! been a FORD man for the last 10+ years think I will return soon not had the Leon a year fed up trying to fight the dealers all the time

SPek9

I had a small amount of condensation in my MK2 facelift fr headlights, the dealer said it usually clears when you start driving the car after it has been sitting in the dealership for a few months
He said that if the whole light condensates then they send them off to seat and they are usually replaced under warranty

Mine did clear a bit when I first drove the car but there was still a bit of condensation so what I did was remove the back sealed covers (they are secured with 2 quick release clips 1 top and 1 bottom) and used a hairdryer to get the condensation out of the headlight

This was ok for a day or so but a small amount came back so I obviously didnt get all the moisture out... so I removed the rear covers and did it again with the hairdryer and it hasnt came back now after a few weeks

themonky

Jun 20, 2013
Hot and Cold Air that's from there back sides I think !!! The car is under 2 years old no way im I going to start taking the bulb covers off and trying to dry them out oh I can see a dealer row coming on

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Remove the cover for changing a bulb. Hair dryer and some cardboard tube to make sure the warm air gets into the back of the headlight for 10 mins. Let it all cool down before refitting the cover otherwise it will condensate again.

Job done.

Try to avoid big puddles in future.

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
The car is under 2 years old no way im I going to start taking the bulb covers off and trying to dry them out oh I can see a dealer row coming on

Why not? It's not hard to do. Unfortunately no headlight is completely and utterly sealed, you just don't have that. If they're xenons I'd be trying to get replacement headlights, if they're halogens then it's probably just easiest to buy a new set of covers for £15, and heat the headlight to get the damp air out

themonky

Jun 20, 2013
Cant understand some of the reply's Try avoid big puddles ?? what don't drive when it's P*****g it down
Why not it's not hard to do ??
Bit like buying a house and the builder saying ok that's it all you have to do is fit the windows !!
Don't go out in that water proof coat it might rain
Might not be so bad if we all lived in Spain

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I'm not quite sure why you've taken the attitude you have. The condensation issue takes place on all cars, not just your car. My old car had permanent condensation in each light until I removed the covers, heated the light up to evaporate the condensation, then blasted cold air through to ensure the damp air was out, and then fitted my new covers.

Try to avoid massive puddles will stop unnecessary spray potentially going into your headlight, thus reducing the chance of moisture getting inside. Could also try a couple of little silicone gel packs to collect some moisture too.

I'd say its more like the builder saying 'Ok that's it all you have to do is clean the windows'. :)

springer

May 30, 2010
Newish Audi's have breather pipes on the headlamps now!
Will take a pic of a Q7 im working on atm,also put a front end on a A5 which also had one.

themonky

Jun 20, 2013
We could all just lay back and be walked on ?? bought the car to use not be fixing all the time

RicoFR

Jan 3, 2014
Manchester
Silicone gel packs are a good shout....

Worked wonders in mine to get the last bits of moisture out, after I blasted it with the hair dryer.

SPek9

We could all just lay back and be walked on ?? bought the car to use not be fixing all the time

All cars have their faults and no new car is perfect, people here are simply giving you usefull advice on how to solve the problem in 5mins to save headache of potentially battling with your dealer to have it fixed under warranty and them having to keep your car there for investigstion etc.

On another note that someone mentioned about the audis having a breather, the leon is the first car which I have owned that has air tight rear seals to access the bulbs. Seat were obviously trying to make the light unit better by completely sealing it when this may be the main cause of the condensation. I had thought that drilling a 6mm air hole on the back cover may actually help the moisture in the light get out if it happened again...just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Cant understand some of the reply's Try avoid big puddles ?? what don't drive when it's P*****g it down
Why not it's not hard to do ??
Bit like buying a house and the builder saying ok that's it all you have to do is fit the windows !!
Don't go out in that water proof coat it might rain
Might not be so bad if we all lived in Spain

A bit like buying a house, then jet washing the front door and wondering why the carpet just inside the door is wet. Then getting all childish about why the house doesn't have a 100% water tight door like a submarine.

Your headlights do not have an air or water tight seal (pretty much no car does)

If it's just misty condensation, dry it out. if it's actually dripping wet in there and going moldy then maybe you have a split headlight and it needs a new one.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members