Heating Issue 184

Dec 16, 2020
I'm having issues with my heating on 2015 184.
Couple months ago i got my timing belt and water pump changed as it was coming up to 5yrs, just before this i was losing coolant (not massive amounts) and having issues with heating being lukewarm at best. Fast forward to now, i'm still having issues with the heating, i have checked/done the following;

1 - Checked heater matrix pipes both hot internal and external. So i'm guessing it not block as it would be cold one of internal pipes.
2 - Checked for silica bag in, can't see one.
3 - Reset the HVAC flaps
4 - Got car up to temp 90c, took the expansion tank cover off.

Garage i got the timing belt done at has said it will be airlock and just take the cover off.
I've had pressure test done and thats come back fine.

Can any recommend what i should try next.

Thanks

harveys

Jan 24, 2016
Had the same issue with my 2015 184, this is an ongoing problem across the VAG range (widely available on youtube). The issue you have is a blocked heater matrix you can try some cooling system cleaner like Forte, it could work! If you have a full SEAT service history I would speak to your dealer for advice and the possibility of them speaking directly to SEAT customer support. I had a full history and got a contribution.
If you don't have a full dealer service history it could cost you £1000-1500 to repair as its not a five minute job when dine correctly.
Hope this helps.

harveys

Jan 24, 2016
Hi Andy,
I had the same problem with my 2015 184, found that the cabin heating deteriorated over a few months. This is a well known issue across the VAG range VW, Audi,Skoda, SEAT. The common issue is silica. I had a full service history with SEAT, I spoke to my dealer who looked into the issue and requested a goodwill contribution from the manufacturer which was successful.
If you have full SEAT service history would choose this route.
If you don't have dealer history I would treat your cooling system with Forte cooling system cleaner it might clear the blockage if you are lucky! If that doesn't work the only thing is to replace the matrix that could cost up to £1500 in an independent garage an repaired correctly.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Well known heater matrix issue.

Have a look at this:

I did mine in March for €85 for the matrix and about 3 hours of my time using an on-line shortcut.

SEAT charge c.£1200 because they take the whole dash out and do a complete system flush which is quite complex.

" 1 - Checked heater matrix pipes both hot internal and external. So i'm guessing it not block as it would be cold one of internal pipes. "

Sadly not the case. My were both pretty hot even though it was blocked.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise