Help! 2005 Leon - Boot Leaking

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
My 05 MK1 had the same problem. Had to take the rear bumper off to fix it. There was no sealant on part of the overlapping body work so got it sealed up and no problems since.

ellisph

Hello There. I have a 55 reg Seat Leon and absolutely love it. Although, have recently discovered a small swimming pool in my boot well. It sounds similar to what is describe here. Would anyone be able to share some pictures? I have taken my rear light out, but am now just staring at a hole where my rear light used to be. I have no idea what I am doing, which bits require sealing?

Seatdean

You need to seal the body seal the part that got like brush strokes in it

Leon Buddy

Hey guys,

just got my mk2 2005/06 leon. Love it but my boot area keeps getting wet. Ive been back to the dealership 4 times, and each time they've done a bit of sealing but it hasn't fixed the problem. They're really wasting my time and im desperate to get it fixed!

Don't think they've taken the bumper off yet though. Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it if someone could send me some pics of when they were sorting the problem.

cheers ;)

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
I only have a picture of the inside of mine where the water was getting in at

The water was coming in through the spot weld above the red circle

Leon Buddy

Thanks for the quick response irishmanr2. I'll print that pick off and show the mechanic. Did you have to taker that the bumper off then? And do you think theres anything else i need to explain to the guy fixing the car? cheers

irishmanr26

Jun 30, 2010
Ireland
Yeah, the rear bumper had to come off. Under the bumper there was a section where the panels joined each other that had no sealant on it. It just needed re-sealed again.
It looked like it left the factory this way as well!

ludditeal

Still can't post my pics, but from the photo by the Irishman that is where my water was coming in as well and I thought it was due to there being no sealant on the back or inside, however once I had sealed that joint up totally the water then tracked to the other side of the boot and started coming out there instead as it filled the back/bottom bar.

You can check if it it from the same place I describe quite easily. Open the flap on the inside of the boot to get at the back of the light fitting. Insert some dry kitchen roll paper underneath the metal surrounding for the light cluster then carefully put a hose on in the rain channel for the boot up near the top. It doesn't need to be a torrent, just a gentle stream of water. let it run for a min or two then switch it off and pull the tissue paper out. If it is wet you have the same problem I had.

Cheers
Allan

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Yes. I fixed my leak :)

I did mean to post back but never did :(

I took some photos at the time, will see if I can find them and post back otherwise will try and explain it.

Hi, would love those photos mate, just spent an hour with a watering can and couldn't pin point where my leak is going in. Output is via the same place as yours though. New user so I can't pm I'm afraid.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Ps also did you seal against the black plastic section that two of the bumper screws fix into?.

Thanks

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Well I had a crack at it last night, used a clear external roofing sealant, sticks to wet surfaces the works. Gave it a good bead across the body seal point and up to and slightly under the plastic bumper bracket. Have it a good hosing and so far just a small drip. Which may be residual from 5 earlier watering cans. Was dry this morning but it's not rained over night. Fingers crossed as I've seen a photo of behind the bumper and I'm at a loss to figure where else the water is getting in.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
No still leaking, what a joke, never owned a car that leaked before. Seem to constantly be fiddling with this motor, it's not fuel and go like my BMW was :(.

Danno1975

Oct 1, 2013
Bought some captain tolleys creeping crack cure, used about 400ml every over a few days and so far a week on and no more leaks. Done the scuttle too and a nice dry Leon is mine. Enjoying it now. In fact I'm driving to much I'm meant to cycle to work all apart from clothes run day lol.

richie2014

Seat Leon 05 boot leak

Very new to this forum and only one year into my first Seat... having the 'boot leaking problem' that's being talked about. Appears to be trickling in through a chassis overlap inside both sides on boot - just under lights, near to manufacturers weld /seal.
I can't work out if the drip / river is this coming in from behind light box or from under boot?
leon

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 27, 2020
Hi i know this post was a few years back but do you have the photos by any chance as my leon has just started leaking and it seems to be coming from the same place. Need to know where to silicone to stop it. Thanks

olly986

Jun 13, 2017
Same here it started before xmas, so much that the moisture in the car is bugging the electrics, wipers going mad even when ignition key is removed ! I can hear contacts flicking in relays under steering wheel, it's like the car is possessed, but mine is a 2010 model 2L TFSI FR, so much water gets into the bottom carpet that there is a pool of water in the tool tray beneath.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise