Help - car sounds unhealthy!!

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Just done 300 miles today, car was fine.. no problems until about 10 miles from home I noticed a strange spinning/ticking sound coming from the engine area. It would get louder if i reved and drop off if I slowed down. Haven't heard it before.. it appears to be coming from the bottom driver side of the engine somewhere.

Difficult to explain so i recorded it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xfzbctIprc

1.9 FR Tdi

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Sounds like it could be aux belt / pulley related going by the sound and area you described it is. Get your hand in there (when its stopped!) and have a feel about to see if anythings obviously loose and make sure everythings secure and belt is ok. Thats where Id start

Apr 14, 2011
I've just changed that pully as it was making a wierd noise after a 1200 mile trip and it got worse as I reved it, pully then got worse and worse and the bearing went, changed it and no noise, took bout 30 mins and cost 50 quid for new belt and pully

hope this helps ;)

tom

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Might be worth mentioning also.. I used the more expensive diesel on my journey home. Not by choice, but because I had queued for so long and the pump only had the 'V-power' diesel that costs £1.45 / litre. Would this have any effect on the injectors or something?

Took it to a mechanic this morning who took a quick look, thought it might be some injector problem or timing belt may have slipped or something. It's booked in for next week so he have a look and fix it, meanwhile got myself a Peugeot 107 on hire.... :D

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Highly doubt its injector related, I run v power diesel now and again with no difference apart from slightly better mpg.
If it was timing related I reckon you'd see an affect such as harder to start or not running right.
As the noise is consistent with revs I reckon it is a pulley/tensioner.
Hope you dont get screwed over with a garge charging you for injectors when its only a pulley!

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Yeah.. just found it odd that it happened about half an hour after I'd put some of that V-power in. Fingers crossed it's not a timing belt issue.. bit worried as it is due soon (mileage is 45k).

We'll see what they find anyway.. got my little go-kart 107 to get me around for now :lol:

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Mechanic seems to think it was the fuel, said he could smell some petrol in the filter of something!! Is that common? Could the V-power have been contaminated with some petrol?

I am 99% sure it was the V-power diesel I put in.. I remember being pissed off that I had queued so long and that was the only diesel on the pump and it was more expensive - definitely a black pump. Surely the car wouldn't have run on petrol for 70 miles after that?

Other possibility he said was that I had run it a little low (20 miles left according to computer) and that some junk in the fuel had caused the problem. Engine sounds alot better now, still a slight ticking noise but they're still looking at that.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Was just away to say, how much was in the tank when you filled up? Just to see how long you started usuing the fuel you had just put in, although it would have likely just mixed.
If it was petrol in there I doubt it woukdve run at all / run right unless it was a small amount of petrol compared to a high amount if diesel.

So nothing has been changed and car runs quieter now?

Apr 14, 2011
mine didn't need a special tool. just a bolt on the back and pull it out and slide the new one in.... easy as pie :)

tom

JR750

Jul 18, 2009
Got the belt, waterpump, clutch & flywheel replaced and all is now OK :D

Apparently the flywheel was a right mess..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members