Help cupra or fr

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
Thinking of buying a 57 plate fr ;)
How good are they to live with some feedback of fr drives would be nice. Do you regret buying it and you should have brought a cupra instead.
Not sure what to get a fr which is cheaper or save a few more pennies and go for the cupra.

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
If you want DSG then go for FR (like me) else go for a Cupra!

I've read that the Cupra rides better as its lower but softer suspension, (lower C Of G I would guess).

For me the FR has a certain something missing in the handling. But for me that's not a problem as I also get to drive a FN2 Type R.

AndyH38

Oct 10, 2007
From what I understand the FR has the same suspension as other Leons, but it has stiffer, shorter springs etc. The ride is very hard. The Cupra has Multilink suspension - the ride and handling is a joy. You have to drive both to test the ride cos it depends what you are used to.

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
All Leons have multi link.

The new Leon out soon had a mix of torsion beam and multi link depending on the trim.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
Worth reading up on pre and post face lift models. Better mpg and power. Also the ride is meant to be softer but lower so as not to compromise cornering.

Can only be a marketing decision why they don't offer the current cupra with a dsg. Would sell like hot cakes if they did!

RobFR

Nov 23, 2012
Northumberland
I was advised by the dealer that the Cupra had too harsh a ride as i had a 6 year old daughter at the time, so we went with the FR.
The dealer had a white K1 for an extra £2K above the price of the FR we bought.
The wife and i both wish we had gone with the Cupra. Absolutely nothing wrong with the FR, just the extra power would be nice.

t70spm

The Cupra is a different beast all together. I drive a 2010 FR diesel with DSG box and it's great but I had a track day in a Cupra and it does ride a lot better, couple to that the Cupra has 4 pot brake calipers which makes it stop on a sixpence. The Cupra has black headlining which is also a nice touch. I guess you need to have a good look over both & a test drive to see what you think. I find my FR a bit harsh on the lumpy country roads about fife. If you go to a main dealer, you'll get the chance to drive both - You can then buy privately or a garage, but at least you will know what you want to buy.
I had to pay £69 more insurance when switching from a T180 Avensis when I bought the FR. I was going to be £30 extra for the Cupra - I was told for a front end smash that diesel engines and auto transmission is more expensive to replace.

No matter what you go for I'm sure you'll have a grin on your chops!

Good luck!

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
I don't think the FR feels 'that' fast. The problem is that the torque is very flat. Which is good but un exciting. Feels like the turbo boost is reined in.

On the plus side lag is almost non existent. I do love the DSG and day to day it made more sense than more BHP.

I do remember reading in Evo that the Cupra rides better than the FR. I find it comfy compared to our type r!

The only annoying things are a cheap interior (saying something comming from a mazda 3 sport!). Other annoyance is engines design to use oil, no digital oil meter. I use my trip computer abd check every 1k. Also this vintage of 'gti' engine doesnt go in to lean mode like other fsi engines. The face lift has the current gti engine with a chain cam.

Last edited:

john.s

Dec 20, 2012
Thinking of buying a 57 plate fr ;)
How good are they to live with some feedback of fr drives would be nice. Do you regret buying it and you should have brought a cupra instead.
Not sure what to get a fr which is cheaper or save a few more pennies and go for the cupra.

I am a happy FR TFSI driver, but I regret a little not going for the diesel version because of the mpg...
Thing is, you can remap the FR to be as fast or even a little faster than the stock cupra. Than, cupra has 18" wheels, witch is a pain in the *** on bad roads! After that, the turbine on the FR spins a little sooner,and so you have a little more agile car when you accelerate from low speeds/RPM. Maintenance costs and mpg is better on the FR too.
For a daily use, I will go with the FR. For more performance,track and future upgrade possibilities go for the cupra.

I am a fan of seat leon, it is my 2nd leon 1p in 7 years :D
If you buy any SH of the TFSI versions, check for the cam follower immediately, as I have seen mine evaporating after only 30000miles. Water under the bonnet is also a pain, causing troubles (but can be fixed). Use good quality gas, as these engines have a not so cleaver design and cause high carbon buildups.

Good luck!

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I've had my FR TFSI from new (4 years) and had no problems (apart from an odd radio glitch).

Feels pretty quick to me certainly in real life situations, gave a GTi a shock the other week! MPG isnt great about 32 on a run, even when taking it easy, much less round town. May be changing mine soon but it will be for a low miles Cupra R. Which ever you get you will love.

Rob

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Feels pretty quick to me certainly in real life situations, gave a GTi a shock the other week! MPG isnt great about 32 on a run, even when taking it easy, much less round town. May be changing mine soon but it will be for a low miles Cupra R. Which ever you get you will love.

Rob

You gave a GTI a shock because...there the same car ;) hardly a scalp

MY LCR can achieve about 34mpg on a run aswell

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise