HELP! Drop Link Removal!

Jun 25, 2020
Anyone have any ideas how to remove the droplink from front end of the altea? Have a broken spring , went to remove the shock, and i can get a socket on the end of the droplink but the whole bolt seems to be spinning

I know that a torx bit goes into the end of the bolt to stop it from spinning but what good is that if the space is too small to get the spanner on?

Attachments

• 20210205_175522.jpg
    20210205_175522.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
Anyone have any ideas how to remove the droplink from front end of the altea? Have a broken spring , went to remove the shock, and i can get a socket on the end of the droplink but the whole bolt seems to be spinning

Hi Mate. Where the droplink rubber boot is, there is a squared off area that u push a spanner on to (its a bit fiddly and you might need to rotate the area using the socket on the nut. You need like a 15,16,17mm) it will stop the whole thing from spinning when you are removing the nut. I hope that makes some sense ??

Jun 25, 2020
Hi mate, thanks for the reply??? So basically the far side of the nut where the actual droplink is i can get a spanner on there to stop the bolt spinning?

Jun 25, 2020
That makes sense. Thanks for the info, couldnt find anything on internet at all about the Altea?‍♂️

Jun 25, 2020
Hi mate, didnt mean to put that '?' in the last message. There was no squared of area on the rubber boot so i had to cut the droplink out.

Jun 25, 2020
This is my new problem! What sort of bit is used to stop this nut from spinning when I undo the bolt on the other side?

Its the nut and bolt that are squeezing the knuckle around the strut if you know what i mean

Attachments

• received_860552808010605.jpeg
    received_860552808010605.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 162

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Torx by the look of it - give it a good clean internally and tap the correct Torx bit into place to get a good fit. Sorry don't know what size.

Jun 25, 2020
Torx by the look of it - give it a good clean internally and tap the correct Torx bit into place to get a good fit. Sorry don't know what size.

Tried few torx bits and they didnt work, turns out the bit is called a multi spline bit. Now to buy one haha

mendez

Feb 13, 2017
West Midlands
Tried few torx bits and they didnt work, turns out the bit is called a multi spline bit. Now to buy one haha
Get these too (it will help you remove the strut from the hub..stick it in the slit and twist it 90 degrees in place using a socket to open the gap to release pressure on the strut): Tool

And something like this to remove the wiper arms (without cracking your windscreen...like i did): Tool

And plenty of high quality penetrating fluid. And a heavy rubber mallet for "persuasion"

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020
Get these too (it will help you remove the strut from the hub..stick it in the slit and twist it 90 degrees in place using a socket to open the gap to release pressure on the strut): Tool

And something like this to remove the wiper arms (without cracking your windscreen...like i did): Tool

And plenty of high quality penetrating fluid. And a heavy rubber mallet for "persuasion"

I didnt need the splitter to get the strut out of the knuckle, it came out handy enough with a few "taps" of the the trusty sledgehammer :) although i may need it yet.

I also didnt need to remove wiper arms as i was able to get the ratchet under the plastic trim.

Going to try put the new strut in now. Have a feeling i will need the tool for spreading the knuckle :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.