Help! I have moisture in my lights!

NigelPatrick

Jun 17, 2020
The headlights seem fairly firm - no loose screws or anything like that to indicate water can get through.

I have the same issue with my rear lights, some moisture is building up there too.

Should I replace my headlights and rear lights?

Lastly, both back and front lights are operational.

EDIT: This is the first time my headlights have done this... it rained a lot over the last few weeks but just recently, I am discovering this issue.

Attachments

• 20201026_194639.jpg
    20201026_194639.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20201026_194631.jpg
    20201026_194631.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 132

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
OH yea, that's typical Seat. Both my Leon MK3 Pre-FL and to a lesser extent Ibiza Mk5 FL did that. However Ibiza's one went away quickly as I had BI-Xenons and those were hot! My fronts often sorted itself, but had indefinite moisture in the rear right tailight, so that was replaced under warranty. It's probably the poorer quality seals, or headlight design from Seat, as I've currently got a Volvo V40 also with full LED headlights, but they never condensed!

Reactions: NigelPatrick

NigelPatrick

Jun 17, 2020
OH yea, that's typical Seat. Both my Leon MK3 Pre-FL and to a lesser extent Ibiza Mk5 FL did that. However Ibiza's one went away quickly as I had BI-Xenons and those were hot! My fronts often sorted itself, but had indefinite moisture in the rear right tailight, so that was replaced under warranty. It's probably the poorer quality seals, or headlight design from Seat, as I've currently got a Volvo V40 also with full LED headlights, but they never condensed!

i think i need to sell my kidney if i want to replace these lights

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Apparently it’s the headlight design to allow some air in and more importantly out.

So once they’re on for a bit the moisture should leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Stevo2

Oct 20, 2015
North Lanarkshire, Scotland
I get this a little in the front headlights, most noticeably when I am washing the car. Once the car is running, it goes away fairly quickly.

Where you park your car and the atmospheric conditions at the time will have an effect. In a shaded area in damp conditions versus an exposed area with plenty daylight/sunlight.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
That’s not moisture only condensation! I had a headlight replaced earlier this year that had approx an 1” of water splashing around in the bottom, as said that’ll go away.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
It is a tricky issue. I have had this on all my hatchbacks to date.
Worst was a Megane. Cured one the other was Warranty.

I found the rubber access or seal or cap on the back and directed warm air in and out and on the front until clear then left cap off in dry weather and used car or left it in a warm garage to eventually go. Always got a result except the Megane came back and it was a leak.
Its fiddly but works. The rears were the same however took them off over a weekend and left in airing cupboard. Sorted never came back. There was ventilation holes into light from the cabin but needed climate or aircon on otherwise it came back

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
That’s not moisture only condensation! I had a headlight replaced earlier this year that had approx an 1” of water splashing around in the bottom, as said that’ll go away.
I had this (well not to your extent) with my rear right tailight, the 'moisture' was there 24/7 and it woudl actually drip to the base and leave streaks...though saying that the dealer I went to were fantastic (I was still in warranty) and I was in for a rattle fix, they ordered the replacement part for the light, and they replaced it the week after.