help identify part on V5

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
IMG_1344Medium.jpg
[/IMG]What is this part and what does it do?

Looks like previous owner tried a cheap fix wrapping insulation round it but there is still some oil coming through.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That's the breather hose, just a short length of pipe from the top of the engine to the air intake pipe. It is famous for splitting, just doing a search on any VW forum will bring up half a dozen instances.

Mine also split, this is the thread I posted when I found it;

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=314762

It includes the price for a new one at the time (£40).

However, what I will say is that it's not meant to be dripping oil. Granted there could be a bit of oil coming through, but the next step for that oil is your throttle body, and that's not a good thing. Again, have a look at that thread to see what I did with mine.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
That sounds about right, figured it was some sort of breather. I'll try and find one on eurocarparts.

Though the car starts perfectly fine, though not sure on the running, I do pick up hints occasionally of a slight blip or hiccup, not a misfire, but then I can't repeat it again, so I'm not sure, but perhaps fixing this pipe may help that, I might tackle the throttle body next weekend too. Would do it today but the rugby is on soon, want to get out and apply some rain x to the windows, clean the engine bay, change the bulbs and reset the ECU.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm fairly sure it's a dealer only part, it's got a fair few bends in it to fit round all the other components. My 'temporary' fix is still going strong, so that might be worth trying first.