Help Please - Altea Glovebox Removal!!

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Iam doing a comms, sat nav and ipod install on my Toledo and I have got a lot of the car apart

I am trying to remove the complete glovebox assembly from my 2005 Toledo (same as Altea) and wonder ifanyone has done this or knows how to.
I have undone all the set screws, the box is loose, but I can't pull it out as there is an electronic module attached to the outside of the box, which is stopping it coming out!
I can't remove this module, as the actual swiveling part obscures the screw - I guess that this has to be removed, butI just can't see how the swiveling part can be removed - any ideas??

Also, anyone know where to pick up an ignition position 1 (aux) feed? - as the radio only has permanent +ve and negative feed - presumably ign sense is on can bus?

Thanks,
John.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
klawit said:
Hi Jaytee,

hope you understand at least a little German ... as all I have for you as a quick shot is a mounting guideline from our forum:

=> http://people.freenet.de/mhain/Seat/Umbauten/EBA Handschuhfach.pdf

At least it has lots of pictures to demonstrate the steps of demounting the glove compartment.

Enjoy ... Klaus

Hi Klaus,
Thanks very much for the link to the images, as always you know just where all this information is located.
Unfortunately, my German is not very good!
The area of interest in the linkyou sent is from the 3rd image where it shows 2 plastic pins and in next image the hole that they locate?

I guess to rmove the swiveling compartment, actual glove box, you have to remove these plastic pins, so that it can pull out - problem is I can't work out how!

Once this is out, then Ican remove the electonic module andthen pull out the glovebox housing from the dashboard.

I need to do this so that I can mount some control modules inside this area and also run some heavy duty power cable to the battery in engine compartment.

Cheers,

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Jaytee said:
The area of interest in the linkyou sent is from the 3rd image where it shows 2 plastic pins and in next image the hole that they locate?

I guess to rmove the swiveling compartment, actual glove box, you have to remove these plastic pins, so that it can pull out - problem is I can't work out how!
Well, not quite sure about what marco's "manual" says there ... and I myself haven't removed the glovebox so far:
The pics show all the parts after removal, so there is some guessing involved.
Those bolts fix the box at the lower left/right and should probably be reached from underneath (after removing the coverage). (sorry, it's more like a guess)

The author mentions, that those bolts can only be completely removed (like shown on the picture #3) after the box has gone loose.

If you can't manage to disassemble I can try to ask marco for a more precise documentation or at least a hint on how to do it ...

Good luck ... Klaus

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
klawit said:
Well, not quite sure about what marco's "manual" says there ... and I myself haven't removed the glovebox so far:
The pics show all the parts after removal, so there is some guessing involved.
Those bolts fix the box at the lower left/right and should probably be reached from underneath (after removing the coverage). (sorry, it's more like a guess)

The author mentions, that those bolts can only be completely removed (like shown on the picture #3) after the box has gone loose.

If you can't manage to disassemble I can try to ask marco for a more precise documentation or at least a hint on how to do it ...

Good luck ... Klaus

Hi klaus,
Thanks for your reply.
I will have another look in the morning to see if I can work it out.
Will take some photos of the dismantle process once I work it!
There is some space on top of the glovebox housing to mount my control modules on, so it is really importantthat I get it out!
Cheers,
John.

Tell

Staff member
Try that I use the AltaVista translator

http://babel.altavista.com/tr

>>
In-/ development guidance glove subject Seat Altea the glove subject in the Seat Altea is altogether fastened with 8 screws. To the development first remove the lining in the floor space under the glove subject (three screws and a plastic screw farther back). Then two screws become visible, which go perpendicularly upward and which glove subject from down to fix (in the picture green marks). For the remaining screws, which are to be removed, I have two pictures: The pictures were made, when the hinged part of the glove subject was distant (assembly). The hinged part of the glove subject is held only by two pins: The pins one can remove however only in the developed condition, except one has extremst articulated hand/arms... Where the pins put in it, the following two pictures show: Proceed in such a way with installation at the best one that one uses the glove specialized framework as on the first picture completely shown. Then one can imprint the left pin for the mobile glove subject. The mobile part of the glove subject can be used now and engaged in the left pin. Now one must let the right pins engage only. For this one removes the lateral right instrument panel lining (simply out-lever) at the best one, afterwards one sees the hole being pressed into that the guide pin again must. The glove subject is now again firm. Einklipsen afterwards only the lateral lining again. Finished! The SE RK forum and the author do not take over any adhesion for this EBA. Independent work on the vehicle happens on own danger. Large questions either in seat forum.de place or mail tons: [email protected] greeting Marco<<

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Tell said:
Try that I use the AltaVista translator

http://babel.altavista.com/tr

>> .... <<
Hi Tell,
great idea ... had the same with Google Translator and came to the conclusion, that even with my "german understanding of english phrases", some of the translation sounds totally nonsense ...

But you're right ... nevertheless these engines do a fairly good job and it's much better than just guessing by means of pictures.

Klaus

Last edited:

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
klawit said:
Hi Tell,
great idea ... had the same with Google Translator and came to the conclusion, that even with my "german understanding of english phrases", some of the translation sounds totally nonsense ...

But you're right ... nevertheless these engines do a fairly good job and it's much better than just guessing by means of pictures.

Klaus

Thanks chaps - I may have missed a couple of screws from underneath, as I think I only took out the 3 that hold the under trim - as I say, I will look again in the morning!

Once I have worked it all out I will do a report (in english) on removing the dash parts and finding a cable route from the battery to inside the car.

Cheers,
John.

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
John

Took my glovebox out over the weekend to install Parrot Bluetooth Handsfree, Glovebox came out no problem without having to remove hinged opening part of the glovebox. i took it out as a complete assembly. The Last two screws that hold it in are at the back of the glovebox half way down, you need a Torx fitting and a small extension so the that you can unscrew them, once they are released the whole unit come out. There is room on the top of the Glovebox to mount small control units etc and then refit. One word of warning though, i disconnected the on off swith for passenger air bag on removal of the glovebox and then had to switch the ignition switch on during install and the airbag light above the glove box flashed several times. now it is all reassembled it is showing a fault on the dashboard, i am assuming there is nothing wrong and it just needs resetting but be aware.
Paul

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
ALT54 said:
John

Took my glovebox out over the weekend to install Parrot Bluetooth Handsfree, Glovebox came out no problem without having to remove hinged opening part of the glovebox. i took it out as a complete assembly. The Last two screws that hold it in are at the back of the glovebox half way down, you need a Torx fitting and a small extension so the that you can unscrew them, once they are released the whole unit come out. There is room on the top of the Glovebox to mount small control units etc and then refit. One word of warning though, i disconnected the on off swith for passenger air bag on removal of the glovebox and then had to switch the ignition switch on during install and the airbag light above the glove box flashed several times. now it is all reassembled it is showing a fault on the dashboard, i am assuming there is nothing wrong and it just needs resetting but be aware.
Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks very much for the info.
Mine would pull straight out if it wasn't for the module fitted to the side of the housing - not sure what it is for if you haven't got it on yours!
Anyway, after some thought, I am going to put an access hole in the side of the glovebox part, so that I can undo the screw to release the module - seems easier than trying to remove the swivel assembly.
As far as airbag light is concerned, thanks for the warning - I guess you will now need a re-set!
Cheers,
John.

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Hi Paul,
One further point - when you did your Parrott kit, did you find an ignition sense feed?
I would normally get this from the radio, but it only has permanent +ve and -ve, so it must sense via can bus?
I want to derive an aux switch +ve feed and also a full ign +ve feed.
Cheers,
John.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
If you look under the panel on the drivers side of the dashboard (door open) you will locate the fuse box. There are plenty of spare fuse points and also switched positives that can be tapped into. I have my Tomtom PDA wired in for charging and didn't have much problem finding the correct wire to connect to.

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
Jaytee said:
Hi Paul,
One further point - when you did your Parrott kit, did you find an ignition sense feed?
I would normally get this from the radio, but it only has permanent +ve and -ve, so it must sense via can bus?
I want to derive an aux switch +ve feed and also a full ign +ve feed.
Cheers,
John.

Hi John
I cheated slightly in that i picked up a power feed from my CD Changer Module and used it as the ignition feed on the basis that it becomes live as soon as the Radio is turned on and you can only use the phone kit through the radio if it is turned on.
Paul

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
aceman said:
If you look under the panel on the drivers side of the dashboard (door open) you will locate the fuse box. There are plenty of spare fuse points and also switched positives that can be tapped into. I have my Tomtom PDA wired in for charging and didn't have much problem finding the correct wire to connect to.

First, thanks to everyone who has replied to my post - it has all been really helpful!

Finally, got round to serious removal of the glovebox, and managed to get it out by disconnecting the airbag switch and the module connector and then it can just get out with a bit of manouvering.
I will post some pictures of the glovebox shortly and when I have completed re-assembling the interior, my completed installation.

One point on the ignition sense source, I released the internal fuse box and when you look at the rear side, there are buzz bars for permanent +ve and switched +ve (full ign position), but I could not find a switched supply that remains live when you turn the key off, but not removed! - so I used the switched supply, but, problem is radio of course works with key in first position, but my iPod system switches off!
Does anyone know if there is specifically a supply that we can be sourced for this 1st switch position?
Thanks,
John.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise