Help with cable

The Swed

Aug 24, 2017
Sweden
Hi I wonder where I can get the cable from the engine bay into the cupé I can not find any hole in the bulkhead I going to install an extra heater when the winter cold is coming.
Please help with links or pic and more..

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
That's interesting. What wattage is the heater? Will the charging system handle it?
It may be possible to feed a cable through the inner guard and through one of the door cable routes.

The Swed

Aug 24, 2017
Sweden
I will use this one to the winter season so I need to get the
defa842207.jpg
cable to the passenger side

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
This guide shows how to and where to pass a cable from the engine bay to the interior if that's what you're looking for:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/retrofit-heated-fan-washer-jets-mk3-leon.456122/

Read down it until you get to the section that explains running cables through the firewall
That's really useful for when I fit my Lidar jammers. I'd just add that I've always used welding rod or similar diameter stiff wire with a small loop in the end to drag cables through grommets.

Reactions: Lozzy15

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Thing I'm wondering here is, if it needs plugging in, what exactly do you want to try and pass through the firewall from the engine bay? You've no chance getting a plug socket through. Or are you going to install some kind of extension where a plug from the house goes into the engine bay and the heater can be plugged in inside the cabin compartment? Like a kind of in-between bit of wiring linking the bay to the inside. A novel idea if so, haven't seen that one done before. Would be interesting to see pictures once done.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Some people like to do things a bit better if this is a recurring winter need.
And permanently fitting a domestic mains extension cable thick enough to run a heater through the engine bay is your idea of doing things better? :D

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I don't know what winter is like, or for that matter what any of the year-round weather is like in Sweden, but there must be a reason the OP has asked about fitting a mains heater in a semi-permanent manner.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
Thing I'm wondering here is, if it needs plugging in, what exactly do you want to try and pass through the firewall from the engine bay? You've no chance getting a plug socket through. Or are you going to install some kind of extension where a plug from the house goes into the engine bay and the heater can be plugged in inside the cabin compartment? Like a kind of in-between bit of wiring linking the bay to the inside. A novel idea if so, haven't seen that one done before. Would be interesting to see pictures once done.
There's something about exposing a mains socket to the harsh temperature and moisture extremes of an engine bay which I'd find quite shocking if only I could put my finger on it....

Reactions: LouG

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Another option is a waterproof trailer plug with the male fitting attached somewhere unobtrusive but reachable. Then wire the power supply to the female fitting.
This may be illegal in many places, but isn't necessarily unsafe.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Another option is a waterproof trailer plug with the male fitting attached somewhere unobtrusive but reachable. Then wire the power supply to the female fitting.
This may be illegal in many places, but isn't necessarily unsafe.
Most trailer sockets are only rated at 12/24dc and wouldn't necessarily be sufficient for what looks like a 1.5-2kw fan heater running at Mains voltage. A quick search on the net provides several examples of IP68 connectors,.and not at extortionate prices either.
https://cpc.farnell.com/elkay/185-1...Oxh1PMuOKZP2-pZ9AJ-PzOkIFdgKduCBoClgIQAvD_BwE

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.