Help

Chelsea

Aug 28, 2016
Hi guys, I have a mk1 Leon, my car won't always start it flashes the immobiliser when this happens.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't want to have to get rid of the car it's absolutely great, 52 plate with only 67000 miles!
Been great since I've brought it apart from
This problem.

I'm to scared to drive long distances because it may not start again.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
See if you can find someone with VCDS/VAGCOM to scan it for you, that should show fault codes for immobiliser.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Not to be a total nugget but why would you sell the car?

Just look into the fault and get it sorted if you love it!! :D:D:D

Chelsea

Aug 28, 2016
Because the mechanic at the garage was saying it will cost me a lot, as he cant find the problem. He was saying I should go part exchange it or live with the problem.

I mean if my trusted mechanic is saying this to me it scares me there's not many people I trust with my car.

I'm happy to pay the price of what it takes but

Chelsea

Aug 28, 2016
I did look into the fault had it on the diagnostic machine and they said immobiliser ring the boy wiped the codes hoping it would go away, but problem happened again, happens like once a week so far. I took it back and they said it's not showing any faults atm and to bring it back if happens again. Which when I did they said they couldn't find it I will have to live with the problem they said a new ring is £200 then fix it then may need recoding so may have to go to seat and it still may not fix my problem

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Has you mechanic got access to VCDS or is he a VW/SEAT tech etc? If not then i don't think any other software/code reader can read faults from the immo unit.

I don't mean to disrespect your mechanic, but some of them are great when it comes to general mechanical things, but completely lost when it comes to electrical problems like yours. Usually an auto-locksmith can recode the immo for a lot less than SEAT will if needed after you change the ring.

Chelsea

Aug 28, 2016
What does the immobiliser do? Do I really need it?

If not irl try get it wiped and irl get a car alarm lol

neil37

Leon tdi 180
Jun 29, 2016
Near Bolton
You will be able to start the car with any key with it off and will fix the problem you have. I would get a good alarm if you go down that route ,Plus it will effect your car insurance.

Last edited:

Hamzilla

Feb 12, 2008
Watford, Herts
I have the same problem for 2 years now. It often happens :-

i) If I try to start the car as soon as I insert the key.
ii) when the weather's very cold or very hot

You will notice the immo issue will occur when there are no lights on the dashboard and no fuel needle movement even though you have turned the key to first position but not yet started the car.

So far, I get around it by hitting the top of the dashboard above the dial cluster once or twice and then the lights and needles move and you will know then the car will start.

ste64

Sep 2, 2016
Somerset
Hi does anyone know where 5 wire and 4 wire o2/lambda sensors on the exhaust,which one goes near to the manifold?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi does anyone know where 5 wire and 4 wire o2/lambda sensors on the exhaust,which one goes near to the manifold?

Welcome to the forum. You need to start a new thread though buddy, or nobody will see your quetion. Go here http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21 scroll right to the bottom of the page and click the "New thread" box.....It's the one at the bottom of that page though, not the top. That's the FAQ section and new members often get confused.

s1 evoloution

May 16, 2016
the fault you mention is the same on audi,s where the ignition switch where you put the key is becomes faulty with age. i had the same problem on a audi where i traced all the wiring under the dashboard and cut out the immobiliser and wired the key straight to the ignition coils. this works on any petrol engine that has ignition coil or coils. even by connecting a wire from the live on the ignition coils to the live on the battery .only do this if you know how to find the live on the coils .immo disables power to the coils. any auto electrician will do this and all it costs is the price of a few feet of wire. and his time which should be a hour at most.

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem with my seat Ibiza, after much searching found the fault to be with the clocks/dials

Now here's the funny bit

I put the key in go to start the car it starts to fire then the immobiliser light on the dash flashes and the car doesn't start

I put my finger on the 120mph on he clocks, push hard and turn the key and hay presto the car starts

Turns out its a dry solder joint in the clocks

Worth a try

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.