HIDs4U Ultimate 6000k HIDs FITTED!

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just a little note guys. If any of you read the instructions you got with your HID's most of them will advise that you should avoid switching them off and off rapidly.

If you have a set in your main beam lenses when you flash people in the street then this can't be good for them - if your driving in a busy street flashing a good number of times the lifespan of the bulb may depreciate very quickly.

Maybe they are different now, but my first set of HID's I fitted a couple of years ago said this as I wanted a set for my main beams too... so I've given it a miss.

When I fitted my HID's I upgraded the high beam bulbs to Philips X-treme Power. Improved high beam but can still flash my lights with no probs. :)
A mate has recently fitted HID's and used "Super Brilliance" bulbs from Halfords to upgrade his high beam.
Buy 1 get 1 free, so just under £19.00 for a pair of really good bulbs.

Guy.

antzedwardz

Jun 18, 2009
Cambridge
At last i finally have them fitted :D

Unfortunately I had to wait about a week and a half to receive the full kit, as they got confused their end and sent me the short bulbs and wires on their own! And then royal mail decided to be mega slow in getting the rest to me.

I have to say HIDs4U were extremely helpful throughout the delivery problems, and answered many of my questions etc. Highly friendly and useful customer service.

As for the kit, the ballasts are nice and small, good build quality. Only downside is the plug which goes to the power into the ballast, doesn't fit through the hole you have to drill to place the grommet, therefore you have to push out the spade connectors, put the grommet in place, and then push the spades back through. Which is fine on the passenger side, but the drivers side was a biatch!

Anyway, the pics-

DSC00123Medium.jpg

DSC00128Medium.jpg

DSC00137Medium.jpg

DSC00144Medium.jpg

Hid on drivers side, 6500k Halogen on passenger side
DSC00125Medium.jpg

Standard ibiza sidelights on left, super white leds on right
DSC00145Medium.jpg

Standard ibiza dipped beam on left, versus HID 6000k dipped beam
DSC00146Medium.jpg

HIDs4U Ultimate kit on left, versus cheapo ebay kit on right (easy to see why he gets flashed so much!)
DSC00148Medium.jpg

6000k Hids, illuminating a country road with no streetlamps around
DSC00147Medium.jpg

in your second picture does that end cap come with the kit, because my ibiza doesnt have that? that lil piece would help scatter problem, was your kit the H7R ?

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
in your second picture does that end cap come with the kit, because my ibiza doesnt have that? that lil piece would help scatter problem, was your kit the H7R ?

Bump an old thread :confused:

The little cap should already be on the lights, mine has them. Although I beleive it does the same job as what the cap on the bulb does, so I dont think its essential for it to be there. And by the looks of it, they arent H7R.

antzedwardz

Jun 18, 2009
Cambridge
Bump an old thread :confused:

The little cap should already be on the lights, mine has them. Although I beleive it does the same job as what the cap on the bulb does, so I dont think its essential for it to be there. And by the looks of it, they arent H7R.

yeh been searching through some of the HID forums, perhaps that cap only come with the cupras, because i cant see it on any over models!

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
Mine's a billy basic 1.2 S and it has the cap, as do the twin bulb headlights I've just bought for it. One was new, one was used.

I think the cap on yours is just missing mate.

phillpotts92

Buy Cheap, Buy Twice! :D
Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
Hi, i have been searchging the forum to find out wheather or not the slim ballests are better than the standard ballasts, but the only thing i can find on them is that if you cram the whole slim ballast in the headlight then it can affect the in-car adjuster (as in you can move them up/down because its all crammed in preventing the headlight from moving). I prefer the large ballasts though as it seems like less ''fannying around'' trying to squeeze it all in but are the slim ones better as in performance wise as they are newer?

PLease help me shed some light on this as my mum and dad want to buy me something nice for xmas so i thought hey why not some hid's (squeeze as much money as i can outta them lol).

Thanks in advance, Sam.

p.s sorry for hijacking the thread dasmith83. :D

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
The slim ballasts arent 'better' in performance, just a different size. With the slim ballasts you have an extra starter box on them which is normally inside the larger ballast. If you fit them correctly inside the light unit you wont have any problems, I done mine and I can still adjust the headlights etc.

I wouldnt say it was less 'fannying around', it took me around 40 minutes to fit both my sidelights and HIDs inside the light unit, and that was without removing the bumper. It makes the bay look so much neater imo, and keeps everything tucked away from the elements.

Edit: Remember that for any MOT in 2012 you wont be allowed retro-fitted HIDs unless you have auto-levelling and headlight washers. So you will only get use out of them until then; unless you want to remove them for the test and fit them again afterwards, but who knows if the 5-0 will be keeping a closer eye on them after then.

Last edited:

phillpotts92

Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
The slim ballasts arent 'better' in performance, just a different size. With the slim ballasts you have an extra starter box on them which is normally inside the larger ballast. If you fit them correctly inside the light unit you wont have any problems, I done mine and I can still adjust the headlights etc.

I wouldnt say it was less 'fannying around', it took me around 40 minutes to fit both my sidelights and HIDs inside the light unit, and that was without removing the bumper. It makes the bay look so much neater imo, and keeps everything tucked away from the elements.

Edit: Remember that for any MOT in 2012 you wont be allowed retro-fitted HIDs unless you have auto-levelling and headlight washers. So you will only get use out of them until then; unless you want to remove them for the test and fit them again afterwards, but who knows if the 5-0 will be keeping a closer eye on them after then.

Might just go for the larger ballasts then because i dont want to cram everything into the light due to everything will be getting hot inside of there and i dont want anything burning out etc.. also i think the larger ones will be easier to install/re-install for the mot's lol :D

One quick question is there a certain way to position it all when inside the light? i have seen a picture that Neo has put on her before but i dont think that will be very easy when the unit is still on the car :S

I really am stumped on which ones to get. i like the idea of it all not looking OEM under the bonnet though so i am torn between a) which ones are better, b) Which are easier to install, and c) what kit to get as i dont want a hid4u kit as thats an extortionate price for what they are. looking at around about 65 pound.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
They dont get too hot, you can still lift them out and hold them (bar the bulb obviously) even after they have been on for hours.

I used the picture Neo posted and I think I was the first person to put the slim ballasts inside the light unit - with the light unit still on the car. Its very simple, took me 40 minutes to do both sides plus fit new sidelight bulbs :)

Which are better? - Well they are both really the same bar the ballasts, but they do the same job.
Which are easier to install? - I would think the slim ballasts as you know where they are going, with the larger you have to find someone to hook the bracket on. But its upto you..
Where to buy? - I got mine from ebay, 6k H7R, and they cost me around £55 inc delivery. I think I was quite lucky though as mine seem to be proper 'R' bulbs that stop the glare. Alot of the others I have seen have the 'mask' in the wrong place.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I used the picture Neo posted and I think I was the first person to put the slim ballasts inside the light unit - with the light unit still on the car. Its very simple, took me 40 minutes to do both sides plus fit new sidelight bulbs :)

With your girly hands :p

Phill I have to back Mick up here and say that as long as you take a bit of care when fitting a slim kit inside then it won`t interfere with the adjusters.... on the twin reflectors anyway.

It`s not just a case of "cramming it all in"... there`s actually quite a bit of space in there for you to utilize... the only part that is "wedged" is the ballast itself into the bottom of the lens away from the moving parts.

Last edited:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
With your girly hands :p

Better girly hands than hands cut to shreds trying to fit them :p

Yeah I agree, there is quite a bit of room in them, just have to slide the ballast underneath the actual reflector and the rest goes in nicely :) Surely the single reflectors would be the same as they have a space where the 2 circles seem to join. I'll try find a picture and highlight what I mean...

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Haha!

Looking at pictures of the single reflectors it looks like there`s just as much room for the ballast, and probably even more room for the wiring/starter.

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
h4lights.jpg

In the bit ive circled, surely theres enough room there to slide the ballast in? Then like you say theres definately enough room for the wiring.

I stole one of Stezo2ks pics and cut out the headlight, so thanks to him! I'll delete if he doesnt want it shown...

phillpotts92

Oct 2, 2010
Bristol.
www.seatcupra.net
So which bit actually moves then the reflector or the black backing?

Thanks Guys for all your help btw.

I still need to decide weather or not im going to get the small or large ballasts lol, as i like the fact that its all there and visible lol soind weird ino but hey ho it floats my boat. And i like the fact that the small ballasts are all tucked away and OEM so for routine night checks by the police, if they ask to look at the headlights to see if its an after market HID kit (larger ballasts) or weather the lights havnt been tampered with and look like OEM HID's........

Hope that makes sense.... lol

Tweddle

Jan 17, 2011
North-East
hi, im looking for a set at the moment and just wanted to know if any1 can recomend some1 off ebay as im not wanting to pay silly amounts. either a seller or a shop or make a make of them that are worth buying??

cheers

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members