Hints and Tips - Engine change

Lee1892

Northern Monkey
Aug 4, 2015
Gateshead
Hi people!

Anyone got any hints or tips to make my life a bit easier.

A friend and I are changing my AMK lump in my MK1 LCR soon as I'm losing compression in Cylinder 1.

I've never changed a lump in one of these before.

Anything worth changing while it's out? Anything to look out for while removing it?

New engine comes complete with box, the lot. I'm gonna choose the best clutch and flywheel to put back in, same with Turbo and a few other bits... Is there anything that will need programming in with VCDS etc??

Whats the best oil to put in it when it's back in?

Any pointers or tips greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

CupraLiam180

Oct 17, 2014
Aberdeen
Me and my brother in law changed the engine in his type r a few months ago, Learned a few things

label EVERY bolt, a lot of time was spent trying different bolts haha! Heard of people using the trays for small baking cakes with 12 in the tray.

Do you Have an engine hoist? We never used one, we had the car jacked at the lowest axle stand hole, we used a normal Jack with a block of wood and a tyre around the Jack so when it was lowered it sat on the tyre then jacked the car up to the highest axle stand hole and pulled the engine and gearbox out under the car. It was a hassle but it worked haha!

Last edited:

Lee1892

Northern Monkey
Aug 4, 2015
Gateshead
Cheers guys.

Will get a Cambelt kit priced up.

Aye we have an engine hoist, just gonna take the full front end off and swing it into place all going well!

Will nick some of our lasses nail varnish for the bolts, colour matched should be easier lol!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.