House Burgled - Spare Keys stolen

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
Hi Guys,

Want to ask a quick bit of advice.

My house got burgled last night. And they've taken a bunch of spare keys for my Golf Gti, whihc they'll never find, and my daily drive which is my leon.

Basically the key they took isn't an alarm fob. Just the metal spare key. Does the spare key have any ability to de-immbolise the car?

Currently as i de-locked the drivers door due to another attempted break in the only way in is through the boot. Last night i reversed the car right up against the garage doors so the boot could not be opened and also i've removed the coil packs so it can't be started. In any case they couldn't de-alarm and de-mmobilise without the fob right? But just an extra measure incase they do get in.

Basically what's the recommedation?

I will obviously need a new ignition barrel and boot lock barrel and matching keys. I plan to keep the same alarm fob. Isn't there a part of the key that has an immobiliser bit in it? Does the barrel have to have anything done to it to introduce it to the car?

Also do i get the parts from the main stealers or elsewhere?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mark

leoncupra2012

Mar 7, 2012
From MK4 golfs i remember the key has to be coded to the ignition. Ive had them where the spare key has been a remote key and a plain key and neither started the car, itl start run for 3 seconds then cut out and say immobiliser activated... also had remote keys thatl unlock the car on the buttons but still not start it, you can programme them to work on the remote locking but for the immobiliser you need the full vagcom i think.

pedro1989

May 2, 2014
Bridgend, South Wales
I don't think that spare key has the immobiliser in it, the immo chip is in the key fob (if you open it up, it's a little glass tube).

The immobiliser is in the clocks, so you just need to change the ignition barrel, boot lock and then swap over the key blade to the fob you already have (which has the matching immobiliser).

ETA - Hope the people responsible get their comeuppance!!

Last edited:

Leon1600s

Once a 1600, now an LCR
Sep 17, 2011
Berkshire
I've had a go with my spare key today, it's just a key, no buttons. You can unlock the boot but only the boot with the boot lock. With the drivers door lock you can unlock the drivers door only. However (good news) the alarm was still armed so opening the boot or drivers door triggered the alarm. After unlocking the car with my other key, the spare can be used to start and run the car (I drove about 5 miles with it).

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Check to see if your home insurance will cover the new locks on the car?

When you say bare metal key... Is it like A or B

153121_120605112240_vw_key.jpg

Car_Key_Blank.jpg

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
When you open on spare key you have to get it in the ignition within a time limit to start and deactivate the alarm

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.