How to accurately estimate how low my car will be?

Apr 16, 2020
Hi,
I’m planning on lowering my 6j whenever I decide on some wheels but I’m wondering how low my car will be. I have a set of stance plus coilovers and they go to 85mm on the front and 70mm on the rear.
Problem is that cars I’ve seen and asked how low they are don’t seem to match up with each other with their stance.
Any help appreciated

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Coilovers are adjustable. -85mm drop would probably rub a lot, so in reality won't be that low, so after people have driven once round the block they'll raise them up again

BocaBill

Mar 31, 2020
I went to the bottom of the adjustment on the fronts and took the adjuster rings out the back on my stance coils and it rode like ****!!
No give in the dampers so it just crashed/banged and bounced down the road.

Going stupid low compromises ride quality.
Sat on 18's now I've got around 5mm left of adjustment on the front and 10mm on the rear so it keeps the factory rake with stance

Apr 16, 2020
Ok so just slamming in on my stance coils might not be an option
I’ll probably just go somewhere near the bottom of the adjustment, try them out and adjust until I get the ride height how I like it. How easy are they to adjust yourself?

BocaBill

Mar 31, 2020
Ok so just slamming in on my stance coils might not be an option
I’ll probably just go somewhere near the bottom of the adjustment, try them out and adjust until I get the ride height how I like it. How easy are they to adjust yourself?
Very easy,
Fronts - Jack car up, take wheel off, release the "Jam nuts" the spring sits on and adjust, tighten up and make sure the jam nuts and "locked" into each other (medium tap with a hammer and screwdriver on the bottom nut does it for me)
Wheel on, jack down.
Rear's - Jack car up from jacking points, slide underneath from the back and adjust.

Take a measurement from a fixed point on the wheel hub upto the bottom of the top jam-nut, Adjust and re-measure, this will help guide you on how much you've come down and keep level on both sides, when you get low enough it's easier to count how many thread's of adjustment are left

Before I fitted I measured from top of wheel the rim to the bottom centre of my arches all round.
On my Bocanegra rear's were 10mm higher on oem sports suspension.
Once fitted stance I re-checked the measurements and came down from there making sure I was equal across the axel.

Stance coils are automatically 30mm lower on stock at the top of their adjustment (hence their measurements 30-85mm)

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.