How to check if a remap makes a difference?

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
Ok, so I'm going for a generic remap on my 1.8T Cupra 180.

I'm going cheap so not having a rolling road before and after etc.

I won't drive the car for 3 days for various reasons so will not get the before and after feel.

What I'm thinking is how will I know there is a difference?

Any idea of pre and post test would be appreciated

tyranical

Apr 13, 2008
I wouldn't go on the cheap mate. Depends what route your looking at but places that just install some map they downloaded or the one on eBay that you send your ECU to are not recommended, the maps are generally of poor quality, overfuel etc.

However the difference between a non remapped and remapped car is night and day. It will be extremely obvious assuming you've had a map that is a decent one adding 20+ bhp and a decent amount of torque.

martin73

Ive just had my audi A6 3.0tdi quattro remapped by Angel tuning and they were offering £50 off in April (if mention you were recommended and be cheeky they might give you the discount) I paid £225 and they came to me. Seemed to be a lot of good reports on various forums etc. Wouldnt go with the very cheapest company as might end up costing you in the long run.

A lot of ecu's tend to self learn now so might take a few miles before get full effect, but can tell a difference right away as pick up should be far smoother and no flat spots.

The audi goes like stink approx extra 60nhp (taking it to arround 293) and extra 85lb ft of torque.

Obviously you get bigger gains from weasels but would have thought you would get about 215-220bhp safely.

Another company I used on a MG ZT cdti was Upsolute again they come to you.

davidmills2002

Jul 14, 2008
Buntingford, Hertfordshire
Trust me you will be able to tell! As other people have said best not go for the cheapest and for maybe a little bit more go with a reputable company such as P Torque, Custom Code, Revo etc. Have a search and choose what's best for you.

Deleted member 13581

The audi goes like stink approx extra 60nhp (taking it to arround 293) and extra 85lb ft of torque.

Animal now i bet. :-o

As said, you will be able to tell the difference straight away.

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
Cheers all,

Take your warning on the cheap remap etc. However I've researched the company and what stuff they use as well as independently contacting people who have used them.

They can do the "come to me" service and the dyno at their location etc etc. So it's not a kid in a bedroom setup.

I guess by cheap I mean I got a good price (£50 off their normal price).

I was simply thinking that because I'll be driving another car for 4 days I'll forget what the Cupra was like to drive when I get back in it after it's remap.

bald_eagle

yeah its blue but i like
Mar 25, 2007
what i noticed most about mine was that the turbo kicked in earlier and the rev range increased all the way to the redline:).biggest problem was trying too change gear quick enough in the low gears:D

myneek

Oct 13, 2009
Winchester, UK
Ok. So ECU was remapped and I took the car for it's first spin yesterday.

Everyone was right. I did notice a difference, especially with my brain being pushed back in to the headrest then the windscreen.

Well worth the money IMO.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Ok. So ECU was remapped and I took the car for it's first spin yesterday.

Everyone was right. I did notice a difference, especially with my brain being pushed back in to the headrest then the windscreen.

Well worth the money IMO.

All hail turbos!!!! You can **** about with cams as much as you want, but you cant beat a turbo spooging up on full boost.

:seatgod:

xpa

Dirty Derver
Oct 13, 2009
Milton Keynes
Easiest way to tell is to follow these steps:
1) Fins a good strech of road that you know and enjoy driving down
2) Get car mapped
3)Drive to location of choise
4)Put the right foot down to the floor
5)You will either have a pissed off look on your face and be thinking why did i waste my money OR (my raction) have the biggest grin goin on your face laughing whilst boosting everywhere :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.