HOW TO CLEAN OR REPLACE OIL PICK UP 1.8t

AdamSmith

Apr 10, 2012
Studley, Warwickshire
Just thought I would show you all how to do this.

Tools / Equip needed

10mm socket, rachet, extension bar
16mm socket
5mm allen key with a ball end (if you do not have this don't attempt with out or you will round off the bolt)

Jack & axle stands
Good quality gasket sealent as below
Fresh oil & filter
Empty tub or bowl to drain oil into
19mm socket
New drain plug
Rubber mallet
Flat head screw driver

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This can be bought from halfords for around £5

Step one jack the car up as high as you can, It just makes it easier to work. You then need to secure the car with a good set of axle stands as below.

dsc0915h.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

Step two is to drain the oil the best way to do this is to warm the car up for 10 minuites prior to draining. After all the dirty oil is out put in your new drain plug & tighten to the correct tourque setting as you do not want to overtighten this!

Step 3 Is to undo the 23 sump bolt's :cry: there are 20 10mm bolts surrounding the sump & 3 16mm bolts that go through the gearbox. Two of the bolts shown below are the hardest bolts to get out & you can NOT un-do them without the allen key as stated they are also on an angle :cry::cry: After removing most of the bolts you want to undo your oil return pipe on the back of the sump as pictured.

dsc0916c.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

dsc0919v.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

Step 4 After all bolts are removed you then need to gently tap around the sump to release the sealent. If this does not work find a blunt flat headed screw driver & use that to gently leaver the sump down. Once removed you will see the oil pickup pick as below. There are 2x 10mm bolts holding it to the oil pump undo them & dont loose the seal.

dsc0927v.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

dsc0928ak.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

Step 5 Clean the oil strainer with wd-40 or degreaser then rinse with water & allow to fully dry before putting it back on the car. Also clean your sump.

dsc0931k.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05
All Clean :)

dsc0929z.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05
Dirty sump :(

Clean sump ;)
dsc0932s.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

Dirty bits from oil pipe
dsc0930iz.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

Step 6 now after cleaning the sump & pickup pipe, reinstall the pipe & make sure the mating face of the sump & engine are clean. You then want to apply a 1.5mm bead of sealant around the sump making sure you go around the bolt holes do not apply too much sealant as this will just block up the pick up again! It looks like I have put too much on in the pic but I haven't I just smudged it a little.

dsc0935dm.jpg

By adgti at 2012-07-05

Step 7 is just the reverse of taking it off tighten them 23 bolts & refill with oil :)

Last edited:

Crumpeey

The walk through was great thanks seems to have done the trick. Only thing is tho its produceing a white smoke from the exhust. Will this die down after so many miles or have I still got problems?

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
Superb guide!! I'll use this to change mine next week!

Speaking with David at Sere, he said the 1.8T and the TDi use the same pickup pipe....only £12 delivered for a shiny new one from Sere!!

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
for anybody wanting to replace with a new item, the part number for the pick up pipe is 06A 115 251
for the Sealing O-Ring, N 028 222 2 (although the pipe should come with this in the bag)

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
didnt need to....for £12 for the part and half hour labour, thought that better than a bill for a rebuilt engine!!

a mate at work had his block up on his 1.8T golf.....he got a sump full of big end bearings, shells and various othe warped bits of metal!!
he's needed a new engine and turbo!!!

scratch339

Nov 12, 2014
Excellent guide... A gate stop took out my sump today, destroyed it in fact :(

Question: I have been searching the for the correct torque setting for the 20 sump nuts. Anyone know this figure?

I know it's quite low, usually around 10-12nm, but would love the actual figure for peace of mind.

Cheers.

Cuprar72

Aug 29, 2017
East sussex
im going to be doing mine over xmas to make sure its ok, the return pipe is there a gasket needed? and also when using the sealant and going round the bolt holes is it best to go round the bolt holes on the outside of sump if that makes sense? thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise