HOW TO: Decode Aura Stereo

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
IMAG0078.jpg

Right, First things first. There is no algorythm which links the security code to the serial number of the stereo, so it's a bit more involving, although if you've got the right tools or know someone who has, it's not too difficult a task.

You will need:

Slotted screwdriver or table knife
T8 Torx screwdriver
an old PIC programmer, these are about £6-8
and depending on how you want to do it, either a test clip, or a soldering iron&solder.

You will also need to download Ponyprog and Grundig WKC series Code Calculator v4.00

First, prise the top casing of the head unit off starting from the back corners, with the screwdriver/ table knife. You can then lift up and pull it right the way off.
IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

You then need to unscrew the CD mechanism, (4x T8 Torx screws)
IMAG0081.jpg

Once unscrewed, you can lift the CD mech up out of the way. I have highlighted the chip we're interested in (24LC16)
IMAG0082-1.jpg

The chip highlighted above is the EEPROM and you need to create a dump of the data on this chip. You can either desolder it and insert directly into the PIC programmer (very fiddly) or you can get a test clip and wire it into the PIC programmer so that you can plug the test clip straight over the chip whilst still on the PCB

I'm still waiting for my test clip to arrive, so here's a stock image, so you know what I'm talking about.
923650-08.jpg

So you open up ponyprog, calibrate it for your programmer and Read the EEPROM. Once you have read this, you need to go to Line 000010 and take value 1,2,5 and 6, as I ahev highlighted in the image below:
dump.jpg

You then take these values, open up the Grundig Calulator mentioned at the top of this thread, set the model to 'Seat Aura' from the list on the right hand side and enter the 4 values.
calc.jpg

Then click 'Repair my dump' - It fills in the remainder, all boxes turn green and your code is generated.
dump2.jpg

Put your stereo back together, put it in the car and enter the code. All done

Last edited:

CupraDaveG

Sep 21, 2010
Hampshire
Kinda remids me of the days of flashing modems, eeprom programmers, TSOP and atmel chips! At least you dont have to lift that little bugger to programme it!!

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Kinda remids me of the days of flashing modems, eeprom programmers, TSOP and atmel chips! At least you dont have to lift that little bugger to programme it!!

I'll have to see how well the test clip fares. Seems to be enough room to access the chip with it.

All of what you just said went right over my head. This is my first bit of electronics since 555 timer chips and breadboards back at high school.

I ordered that 8in1 torx screwdriver from eBay at 3pm yesterday for £2.30 delivered and it came this morning. Quality

CupraDaveG

Sep 21, 2010
Hampshire
I'll have to see how well the test clip fares. Seems to be enough room to access the chip with it.

All of what you just said went right over my head. This is my first bit of electronics since 555 timer chips and breadboards back at high school.

I ordered that 8in1 torx screwdriver from eBay at 3pm yesterday for £2.30 delivered and it came this morning. Quality

Haha, sorry mate. Just imagine removing one of them chips, and having to solder it back on, without shorting the chips or ruining the contacts! Hard work!!

speedy delivery! Well youve done well! The clips seem to make life alot easier anyway!

Top work :)

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Haha, sorry mate. Just imagine removing one of them chips, and having to solder it back on, without shorting the chips or ruining the contacts! Hard work!!

speedy delivery! Well youve done well! The clips seem to make life alot easier anyway!

Top work :)

Yeah understood all about lifting the chip, shorting tracks etc.. just not the reference you made to flashing modems etc.. I'm 23, so a little before my time I'd guess?

Once the clips here, I'll complete the guide.

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
For the hassle I would rather bin it lol good guide but isn't it like 5 quid for the code . If the head unit was worth keeping I would do it,

more than a fiver mate. Ask a dealer, it's like £25 upwards, as you can't just calculate from serial.

Initial outlay is probably equal to getting a single code, but I like to help people, so I'd rather pay for the equipment than just for a single code... it's like those oxfam adverts

takes maybe 3-5 mins to get the serial start to finish? Not that much hassle, and especially those who have CD changers and don't want to bin the headunit, as they want to keep that functionality.

Last edited:

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Right, test clip arrived and it's a perfect fit, with no other components on the board obstructing it.

I will be offering this as a FREE service to local members on here, so let me know and i'll be happy to help.

IMAG0102.jpg

moose999

Hi Jonesy,

I am new to eeprom programming, but the rest of the guide seems straight forward, so i want to have a go. i have found the clip here:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-SOIC-SOP-8-WAY-Test-Clips-ISP-CABLE-MODIFIED-/110634902521

I have all the software, and the tools, but I believe I need a PIC programmer? :blink: I would rather USB, and wonder if this is correct:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/iCA01-USB-Microchip-PIC-Programmer-Set-ICSP-Adapter-/270692711254

Also, I have looked at removing the stereo from the car, and the 2 holes along the bottom edge don't fit my flat stereo removal keys :confused:

Many thanks for your guide, and help,

Moose.

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Hi Jonesy,

I am new to eeprom programming, but the rest of the guide seems straight forward, so i want to have a go. i have found the clip here:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/3M-SOIC-SOP-8-WAY-Test-Clips-ISP-CABLE-MODIFIED-/110634902521

I have all the software, and the tools, but I believe I need a PIC programmer? :blink: I would rather USB, and wonder if this is correct:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/iCA01-USB-Microchip-PIC-Programmer-Set-ICSP-Adapter-/270692711254

Also, I have looked at removing the stereo from the car, and the 2 holes along the bottom edge don't fit my flat stereo removal keys :confused:

Many thanks for your guide, and help,

Moose.

Reading up on that USB pic programmer it doesn't state compatibility for eeproms, you want something based along the lines of a JDM programmer, mine was a serial, not USB