How to get better mpg from 170 FR TDi

mcmanus1806

Dec 31, 2013
So i have been driving around town a lot, and i change at around 1750 - 2000rpm, and ive noticed my horrible fuel consumption of around 32-36mpg around town, also i see other are having terribly bad fuel consumptions, but ive worked out a way to get 40+mpg every time and on the motorway high 50's possibly touching 60.

Change before 1500rpm in every gear, except maybe frist as its so ****, take it to 2000rpm in first nd every gear after that change at 1500 and your mpg will increase :)

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Your gear changing is wrong ... This is turbo diesel.

If you want to increase MPG get rid of DPF.

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
If the dpf is in place the engine is having to work harder to push the fumes through the exhaust causing poor mpg. If the exhaust is free flowing then you will see an increase of mpg. I get 40mpg most of the time round the doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sep 10, 2011
cheshire
Your gear changing is wrong ... This is turbo diesel.

If you want to increase MPG get rid of DPF.

Yep true! dpf's are sh*te rip it out and throw it as far away as poss lol!!! The best i have seen is late 30's to 40mpg around town and 61mpg on a run plus if its done right it'll go like fook

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
So i have been driving around town a lot, and i change at around 1750 - 2000rpm, and ive noticed my horrible fuel consumption of around 32-36mpg around town, also i see other are having terribly bad fuel consumptions, but ive worked out a way to get 40+mpg every time and on the motorway high 50's possibly touching 60.

Change before 1500rpm in every gear, except maybe frist as its so ****, take it to 2000rpm in first nd every gear after that change at 1500 and your mpg will increase :)

Yep, changing at or before 1500 RPM will get you better MPG but you will find your duel mass flywheel won't last very long. Changing at 1500 will bring the revs back down to very near 1000 at the start of the next gear. That's too low even for a really good TDI like the 170, the engine will start to rattle itself to bits.

If you want 40-50MPG round town get an Ibiza Ecomotive not a Leon FR 170.

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
My 1.9tdi does 45mpg in town, and around 64mpg on a motorway run. Then again it's 65bhp less! Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Yep, changing at or before 1500 RPM will get you better MPG but you will find your duel mass flywheel won't last very long. Changing at 1500 will bring the revs back down to very near 1000 at the start of the next gear. That's too low even for a really good TDI like the 170, the engine will start to rattle itself to bits.

If you want 40-50MPG round town get an Ibiza Ecomotive not a Leon FR 170.

Is not just DMF which will suffer from low RPM but turbocharger and DPF too ...

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I don't think it's that bad on mpg. My golf gt130 used to get around 560 miles from full to reserve light coming on. I can get that from my pd170 and I carry a family around these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
I don't think it's that bad on mpg. My golf gt130 used to get around 560 miles from full to reserve light coming on. I can get that from my pd170 and I carry a family around these days.

560 to a tank!!!!! I brimmed mine once and got 450 to empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
You don't need to change gear at silly low revs, in fact the engines really efficient when the turbos kicked in but you're not flooring it. If you wanna get better MPG just avoid shopping and starting. Roll up to traffic lights etc and don't floor it. I get 40 from town driving pi*s easy by essentially not using the brakes. Do get bored though.

tundrarocks

Dec 21, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I recon I could get 600 on a run sticking to 70/80 before the reserve light comes on! That's with two adults a 4 year old and a boot full.
Lowest I've had is about 530 and that with heaters, headlights and town driving in winter.
Maybe they put a 140 engine in my car!

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
I can get 38-40 around town by being gentle at the controls, anticpating traffic ligths and stop situations and allowing the car to roll as much as possible. I also swiftly but not aggressively get to my cruising speed.

But it isn't going to be getting much better than that, if you compare it to a 2.0 turbo petrol it's almost as quick but much better of fuel in the same scenarios.

Last edited:

george g

Aug 6, 2013
I always found that keeping the revs lower than 1500 didnt allow the engine to get up to correct temperature on an 8 mile journey - especially on cold mornings! half on dual carriageway and half through city centre.

As said above, the engines are still efficient once on turbo, so provided you keep the revs between 1500-2000 rpm then you should see a similar MPG. I regularly get 40mpg on this journey, and that includes a dual carriage way uphill slip road that I tend to boot it on... Less traffic and I do hit 50mpg - but thats probably more to do with not booting it.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
I always found that keeping the revs lower than 1500 didnt allow the engine to get up to correct temperature on an 8 mile journey - especially on cold mornings! half on dual carriageway and half through city centre.

You should not exceed 2000rpm on not fully warmed engine...

andy550

Jan 10, 2013
Loughborough
The 2000RPM rule doesn't especially work. Although high revs when cold aren't especially good, fully loading the engine at low revs is as bad if not worse. If you go up a big ass hill in 4th at 35/40 you'll load the engine up a lot so you'd be better changing to 3rd and doing about 2500RPM. Modern oils are designed to work at low temps so you're not going to starve anything of oil, i.e. turbo bearings.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members