I do HATE the keyless initiative.

Smileyman

Aug 9, 2017
The SEAT Toledo I drive is supposed to have keyless locking / unlocking .... has never worked from new and I have never chased dealer to get it working. But, yesterday whilst at a boot fair (windows open doors shut) suddenly the car locked itself and when Mrs S extended her arm inside the car to get something the alarm activated!!! This left me scrambling for the keys to press a button to cancel the alarm. Problem solved by leaving a door open (turn off interior lights).

However on returning home, car parked on driveway, keys with me, unsold items being removed from car I realised with keyless any passing pedestrian could have jumped into the drivers seat and started the engine. I bet my insurers would have been thrilled!!! I think it's time to speak with dealer about options to improve security.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Never worked from new? Mine was a hassle for the first few days until I learned where to touch the handle for lock and unlock functions.

However I also find that if you old school lock it (with the remote button) then it doesn't KESSY unlock to the touch next time.

So it's best if you choose one method, touch lock and unlock or button lock/unlock.

Knowing the emergency start procedure is also important when the remote battery dies 20 miles from home :)

They only last about 18 months. Non Kessy ones go over 4 years.

Deleted member 103408

Knowing the emergency start procedure is also important when the remote battery dies 20 miles from home :)

They only last about 18 months. Non Kessy ones go over 4 years.

I am lucky dont have it and dont want it, but this is a good point, I presume like the normal key it warns you beforehand when the battery is getting low.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I don't think there was any warning. Using it in keyless mode I never even look at the key (or its LED) - since it's in a pocket.

It just stops working.

So you flip the painted cover off the outside lock to use it like a 16th century key to get in, then do the Emerg Start to get you to a shop that sells batteries.

Smileyman

Aug 9, 2017
Actually I've been through the battery issue, one of the key fobs only, and I now keep a spare battery in the car! My biggest concern is that the vehicle is insecure when parked up if I am nearby with the keys with me.

Deleted member 103408

I may be wrong but i seem to recall that you can take it back to the dealer and they are able to deactivate it.

Battery on the normal key gives a warning on the dash when the battery is running low bit of a design fault if thats not the same on the keyless version.

Deleted member 103408

Sorry I laughed out loud over that, that is very poor

Smileyman

Aug 9, 2017
the low battery warning came on for a week or so before I replaced the battery, I guess if the battery is allowed to go fully flat the "key not detected" warning would show, however I've not seen that one (thankfully)

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Maybe I should drive it more often than every 2 weeks.

Mind you, it didn't warn me when I left home, and when I arrived 20 miles away, the key was dead and I couldn't even lock the car electronically.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise