I see gubbins....

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
But what do they do?
Fitted a catch tank a few weeks ago. Whilst doing it i cleaned the puc (pcv valve?) out. Even though there was a spring inside, im assuming part of a valve. I could blow through it both ways.
So thinking it was faulty i ordered a new one off Ebay. Seller had decent feedback and has sold 150+ of these.
Anyway, it turned up today. Got a spring inside but i can still blow through it both ways.
Am i missing something? Is it not supposed to be a 1 way valve?
20210205_171442.jpg
20210205_171459.jpg

Last edited:

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
I’ve always wondered this. Mine is the same. And after hours and hours of reading no one can tell me what it actually does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Its an inline crap collector.
Better in there than being sucked back into the engine.

Maybe pcv stands for positive crap vessel?
Judging by the state of my old one, it works ?

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
I might be massively wrong but If you suck on it, it should close and prevent airflow in one direction but still flow if you suck on the other port.

If you have positive pressure in the crank it allows this air and the fuel / oil to travel back to the TIP or into your catch can. bUt if you have negative pressure then the valve will close. Some cars have normally closed valves (as you would think) but some cars don't and this may be one of them cars.

If your car runs and idles ok, then it's probably working.

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
The Hockey Puck is not a one way valve nor is it a pcv , it is a pressure control valve part of the pcv system, it will move in both directions.

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
The Hockey Puck is not a one way valve nor is it a pcv , it is a pressure control valve part of the pcv system, it will move in both directions.

But how does it work?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Ok, so today i fitted the new puc today. The problem is, when i removed the old one it was full if water. The side pipe comes from the catch tank and the lower pipe goes to the intake pipe. My concern is thar water will get sucked into the turbo.

The catch tank was about 1/4 full.
The only thing i can think is the crank fumes are circulating from crank case to intake pipe at such a rate (via the catch tank and pcv) that theres a lot of water mist not being caught by the catch tank.
Would it be a good idea to baffle the catch tank some more to try and catch the vapour out of the fumes passing through?
Ball of steel wool in the can?

Sl1ced

Oct 10, 2020
Maybe VTA is better after all? Mine was damp in the pipes today

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
My bet is it's to close the crankcase from a flashback in the intake system.
Or it's typical german engineering.

"why make it simple, when it works just as well complicated"

Reactions: vwtrev
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.