I want that one!!

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
The heart of the Audi R10 is a completely new V12 TDI engine with a cubic capacity of 5.5 litres – the maximum permitted at Le Mans. Audi ventures into previously unexplored diesel-engine terrain with power exceeding 650 hp and torque of more than 1100 Newton metres from the V12 power plant.

“This engine is the specifically most powerful diesel there is in the world and, up until now, the biggest challenge that Audi Sport has ever faced in its long history,” explains Ulrich Baretzky, Head of Engine Technology at Audi Sport. “There has never been anything remotely comparable. We started development with a clean sheet of paper.”

The V12 TDI used in the R10 is the first Audi diesel engine with an aluminium crank case. The cylinder-bank angle is 90 degrees. The V12 TDI has, like Audi production car engines, four valves per cylinder and twin overhead camshafts. The fuel induction is made by a modern “Common Rail System”. The injection pressure easily exceeds the 1600 bar achieved in production cars. The ignition pressures also reach values never previously seen in any Audi engine.

The engine’s power and the high torque are available to the driver practically from idling speed – a speciality of diesel technology, to which the Audi drivers must now become accustomed. The usable power band lies between 3000 and 5000 revs per minute.

BIGGUTS

May 24, 2005
BELFAST
hummmmm!, woner if that would fit in the wee yellow mobile of yours, iam sure you could make it fit!! lol big fella

Triple D

that looks quality, wonder if they'll fit it in a road car?

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
BIGGUTS said:
hummmmm!, woner if that would fit in the wee yellow mobile of yours, iam sure you could make it fit!! lol big fella

might need to turn it tranversely and move the washer bottle , but yeh it'd fit

Shrek

Sep 20, 2004
Wokingham
Audi said:
Newton metres not only makes extreme demands of the R10 transmission system – as even the Formula 1 specification engine dynamometers at Audi Sport had to be reequipped with special gearboxes capable of withstanding the unusual forces.
Ouch! Guess it might make the traction control work even harder than it already does!?

sssstew

Editing your spelling
i thought the biggest TDI in the toe'rag was the 4.2 V10 TDI?

i noted they havent used PD in the V12 just a "common rail system" hmmm

paris.Par.0007.Image.jpg

like the TDI power bit too :p

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
sssstew said:

paris.Par.0007.Image.jpg

Common rail is the easiest solution. Even so, the injection pressure is far greater than any other system they've used.

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
sssstew said:

paris.Par.0007.Image.jpg

I think you can actually use both pd and common rail together,,, correct me if I'm wrong but you could always use pd injectors with a single, common, rail,,, prob is that the common rail already brings pressure up,,, the a pd injector would increase that to sky high values,,, so might be a low presure common rail??? or am I just delirating???

BTW, anyone know how many hp that thing is pushin out???
if that thing wins at leman I'll be j**kin off thinking of that for a week,,,

MAdMAtt84

Aug 9, 2004
Canterbury, Kent
i wouldnt put it past them though....

I didnt read the article but is that car going to enter against normal petrol units or in a diesel class of its own?

MAtt

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.