Ibiza 115 vs 110 Performance Difference

Lord_Brett_Sinclair

Dec 13, 2018
Given that the the only appreciable difference between the 115 ps and latest 110 ps is just 5 ps, why is the 115 quoted at 9.3 seconds to 62mph and the 110 quoted at 10.2 seconds?
The torque figures are the same, as are the top speeds, so that appears to be a big difference for a marginal increase in power. Have the gear ratios changed?

Also, what sort of average fuel economy figures are 115 FR owners getting?

tdsilva96

Oct 10, 2020
Lisboa, Portugal
Not knowing about gear ratios, I don't think that any regular driver will feel the difference honestly.

About fuel consumption, I'm averaging 47-49 mpg (urban) and 52-54 mpg (highway). However sometimes, when I just go for a cruise alone at late night, I'll be driving like a granny on a Sunday morning my Ibiza averages right about 63-64 mpg.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I‘m just speculating here but could a contributory factor be emissions regulations? The 110ps version of the engine may have a more up to date emissions technology fitted to it compared to the earlier 115ps version to make it compliant with the latest WLTP RDE2 emissions standards. Could that have an impact on performance?

Anyway, as @tdsilva96 has said, in real world driving you’re unlikely to notice the difference.

Reactions: xyz

lordedmundo

Feb 23, 2021
I've ordered a new Ibiza FR Sport 110PS DSG and did wonder whether there would be a noticeable decrease in performance from the 115. The SEAT dealer assured that I wouldn't (he would say that though wouldn't he!) He did confirm the reason for the change is due to emission standards. The 0-60 for the DSG is quoted at 10.0 seconds.

Interestingly, Matt Watson did manage 0-60 in a 115PS DSG in 8 seconds (watch from about the 4mins 25 mark):

Not sure how accurate the test was obviously, but hopefully means the 110 will outperform the quoted figures!

I'm 50 years old, so should not be bothered about such things :D I'm more worried about the firm ride on the 18 inch wheels. As I much prefer the styling and digital cockpit in the FR Sport, I didn't want to order the Excellence or regular FR that ride on 17's...

Reactions: SRGTD

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I've ordered a new Ibiza FR Sport 110PS DSG and did wonder whether there would be a noticeable decrease in performance from the 115. The SEAT dealer assured that I wouldn't (he would say that though wouldn't he!) He did confirm the reason for the change is due to emission standards. The 0-60 for the DSG is quoted at 10.0 seconds.

I'm 50 years old, so should not be bothered about such things :D I'm more worried about the firm ride on the 18 inch wheels. As I much prefer the styling and digital cockpit in the FR Sport, I didn't want to order the Excellence or regular FR that ride on 17's...

I have a VW Polo GTi+ that has 18” wheels and I find the ride is very good and I dare say the ride quality of the Ibiza FR on 18” wheels will be similar. Admittedly, a person’s view of ride quality is very subjective and the type of car(s) they’ve previously owned will also be a factor - I’ve owned mainly performance hatches for the past 40 years so I’m used to cars with a firm suspension set up.

The Ibiza FR Sport looks a great little car; I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

tdsilva96

Oct 10, 2020
Lisboa, Portugal
I'm 50 years old, so should not be bothered about such things :D I'm more worried about the firm ride on the 18 inch wheels.

Yup, with the 18" wheels and low profile tyres you'll feeling almost any little rock you pass over and every so often even the road markings. I've 18"s as well equipped with OEM adjustable harshness suspension and sometimes it can be a pain in the ass, literally.

Just be sure to pass speed bumps under 5-6 mph. 🙃

lordedmundo

Feb 23, 2021
I have a VW Polo GTi+ that has 18” wheels and I find the ride is very good and I dare say the ride quality of the Ibiza FR on 18” wheels will be similar. Admittedly, a person’s view of ride quality is very subjective and the type of car(s) they’ve previously owned will also be a factor - I’ve owned mainly performance hatches for the past 40 years so I’m used to cars with a firm suspension set up.

The Ibiza FR Sport looks a great little car; I’m sure you’ll enjoy it!

Thanks for the reply! I've watched/read a fair few reviews before making the decision. I've realised that whatever choices you make there is going to a compromise.

My current car is a 2002 Ford Puma. It has 15 inch wheels, but it is an old car - and I know from the recent MOT advisory that the suspension needs some work. Plus, I have apparently been driving around with a dented front wheel for a while! So, I suspect the ride is pretty harsh.

lordedmundo

Feb 23, 2021
Yup, with the 18" wheels and low profile tyres you'll feeling almost any little rock you pass over and every so often even the road markings. I've 18"s as well equipped with OEM adjustable harshness suspension and sometimes it can be a pain in the ass, literally.

Just be sure to pass speed bumps under 5-6 mph. 🙃

Thanks the reply. It will 'interesting' how the Ibiza compares to my very old current car. Luckily there are less speed bumps where I live now than in London (where I lived up until 6-7 years ago) .

I'm at least looking forward to the decent fuel consumption which you mention above!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
You know these VAG cars, they tended to underreport the power. Had a Mk5 FL Ibiza EcoTsi 110, does the sprint in 9.3 secs, apparently the Mk6 Ibiza 1.0 115 does it in 9.5 secs, now the new one in 10.2 secs. Maybe it's to do with the GPF? I wouldn't be surprised these 1.0TSIs outputted closer to the 120 mark. Some of the newer VAG cars' in the Leon size category 1.0TSIs come with MHEV, thought this would make it quicker, but they do the sprint in 10.6 secs.

Lord_Brett_Sinclair

Dec 13, 2018
My guess is that the difference is down to different gear ratios and the fact that the 110 now requires an extra gear change before hitting 62 than does the 115.
I suspect the 115 can hit 62 in 2nd gear, whereas the 110 has to change into 3rd to get there. This probably helps the meet the new WLTP testing.

It's also why the salesman was probably correct in saying that you probably wouldn't notice any difference when driving them.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
They wont have changed the gear ratios, it'll just be a different map on the ecu for the emissions - most marques are going down on power on the latest cars to meet new eu targets- Mini Cooper S went from 191 - 189, Fiesta 100 - 95, etc

Reactions: SRGTD

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Mine's a manual, and an Xcellence Lux on the 17"s, but I'm very impressed with the fuel economy. It's a 2019 so I have the GPF, but it's still the older emissions regs. Averaging around 50mpg, can normally average 52-55mpg in the spring/summer. I have a fairly gentle commute and it's along the motorway, tend to just put the ACC on at 70 and let the car do the work.

Give it some beans though and the mpg does drop a fair bit though.

Lord_Brett_Sinclair

Dec 13, 2018
They wont have changed the gear ratios, it'll just be a different map on the ecu for the emissions - most marques are going down on power on the latest cars to meet new eu targets- Mini Cooper S went from 191 - 189, Fiesta 100 - 95, etc
Still can't quite understand how an ecu change could make it slower by nearly a second to 62 when the power is down by only 5 ps.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
Still can't quite understand how an ecu change could make it slower by nearly a second to 62 when the power is down by only 5 ps.

Quoted figures for the eco warriors and insurance companies to get a lower group no doubt? i'll bet if the 2 versions were side by side in a standing start there wouldn't be 1 second difference in acceleration

Lord_Brett_Sinclair

Dec 13, 2018
Quoted figures for the eco warriors and insurance companies to get a lower group no doubt? i'll bet if the 2 versions were side by side in a standing start there wouldn't be 1 second difference in acceleration
I agree, so the only thing that could make that sort of time difference is an extra gear change.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise