Ibiza 6J 2008 boot won't open

May 6, 2021
Hi All,

First time posting on here but wondering if anyone would be able to help me out a little here! My Ibiza SC 6J 2008 tailgate has decided to stop opening when using either the key fob or the 'S' logo lever on the tailgate.

I have already:
  • Used a multimeter to test that the microswitch inside the lever is completing a circuit properly when it is lifted, which I think rules that part out
  • Replaced the locking/latch mechanism with a brand new one from a Seat dealer - still doesn't open
  • Disconnected, then reconnected the orange and black block connectors on the left side of the tailgate under the trim - still nothing!
Does anyone know of anything else that I could check out? I am thinking maybe being able to test that the correct power/voltage is being supplied to the connector block on the lock/latch mechanism? I can see there is 4 wires going into the mechanism but I am unsure what each wire is for and what the correct voltages these 4 should be supplying when the switch is lifted up.

Any help would be amazing :)

Cheers

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi and welcome to this forum, I was going to suggest that you search out the other older threads covering this issue, but I get the impression that you have already seen them.

One thing to try, if you have not done this, with the hatch open, using a big screwdriver "tumble" the hatch lock engaging latch and see if you can release it using the fob or the handle.

Also be aware that that car might have a wiring issue in the section of wiring that is within the protective rubber sleeve, checking the action with the hatch opened and the latch tumbled to simulate it is closed might temp "remake" severed wire(s). I've forgotten if these cars sill have a mercury tilt switch to assist in working out if the hatch is open or not, I'd doubt it, they will probably just a micro switch built into the latch assembly, but it would do no harm to repeat any checking you do with the latch tumbled by lowering the hatch down to as close to the closed position as you can while the latch is still tumbled into its locked position.

I've never had to resolve this issue, well other than trying to clean up and lubricate the hatch on an early 2002 Ibiza 6K that had that issue only in cold weather, which I put down to SEAT swopping the material a part of the mechanism was made out for cheapness, VW had used aluminium alloy on the same age Golf, SEAT used plastic on that early 2002 Ibiza 6K and I reckoned that the original design needed/relied on the extra mass/weight to complete the mechanism transition from closed to open, so if everything was not "spot on" it would fail to swing across.

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hi All,

First time posting on here but wondering if anyone would be able to help me out a little here! My Ibiza SC 6J 2008 tailgate has decided to stop opening when using either the key fob or the 'S' logo lever on the tailgate.

I have already:
  • Used a multimeter to test that the microswitch inside the lever is completing a circuit properly when it is lifted, which I think rules that part out
  • Replaced the locking/latch mechanism with a brand new one from a Seat dealer - still doesn't open
  • Disconnected, then reconnected the orange and black block connectors on the left side of the tailgate under the trim - still nothing!
Does anyone know of anything else that I could check out? I am thinking maybe being able to test that the correct power/voltage is being supplied to the connector block on the lock/latch mechanism? I can see there is 4 wires going into the mechanism but I am unsure what each wire is for and what the correct voltages these 4 should be supplying when the switch is lifted up.

Any help would be amazing :)

Cheers
Hey pal,

Give this a read, the last few posts, my.moms car had this issue on and offer for a couple years hence me taking so long to get it sorted. Bit basically the green wire was broken inside the black block connector, it then got hard wired and works all fine. See the last few.posts to see pics

Help! Boot not opening
Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.