Ibiza 6j Sport 1.6 Petrol Brake Upgrade

Sep 7, 2019
Hey,
I daily drive a Seat Ibiza 6j 2010 1.6 petrol (105hp) that has 256mm (stock) front disc breaks which Is not enough for me.
I have tried stock disc with various pad combo's and the second I hit some back road's I experience excessive brake fade and spongy break pedal,
I flushed my break fluid and filled in a more capable fluid which helped a lot (!!!) but its not enough.

I have decided to upgrade my breaking system to bigger discs and caliper's.
What is the best solution to upgrade the breaking power without selling any internal organs ?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Later 1.2TSI 110PS and all higher power output engined Ibiza and Polo get 288mm from discs, well at least VW cars do, SEAT has always been a slow/lazy in fitting the correct brakes to some of their cars!
Changing to the 288mm or 312mm front brakes will always mean replacing the front hub/hub carrier assemblies as both the higher sized front brakes have separate calliper mounting brackets, where as your car has its callipers mounted directly onto the front hub carriers.

Reactions: ilWan
Sep 7, 2019
Later 1.2TSI 110PS and all higher power output engined Ibiza and Polo get 288mm from discs, well at least VW cars do, SEAT has always been a slow/lazy in fitting the correct brakes to some of their cars!
Changing to the 288mm or 312mm front brakes will always mean replacing the front hub/hub carrier assemblies as both the higher sized front brakes have separate calliper mounting brackets, where as your car has its callipers mounted directly onto the front hub carriers.
Thanks for your reply
, How much will that cost me to get the 288/310/312mm installed ?
Are the hubs/carriers are bolt on? Meaning If I manage to find an Ibiza with 288mm breaks I can just take mines out and put the 288s in?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The problem is your current car does not have Callipers bolted to Carriers bolted to Hub assemblies, what you have is Callipers bolted to Hub assemblies.

Before you can do anything, you need to replace what is bolted to the bottom of the suspension legs, with the assemblies from a VW Group same platform car that has bigger brakes, then you can go down the 288/310/312mm route with matching callipers and correct calliper carrier brackets. The assemblies bolted onto the bottom of your current car's suspension legs have been designed to accept the callipers that that car came with without needing any additional calliper carrier bracket - so that is your stumbling block for now.

I've never needed to consider doing this work so I can't help with costs, someone on one or more of these VW Group Ibiza/Polo/Fabia of the same version of cars, will have outlined what you need to buy.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise