• Hi Guest why not show off your SEAT! (now fixed)
    You can now share your favourite car photos in the new media gallery including embedding pictures from your Instagram account.

Ibiza FR TDi or Fiesta ST?

Clark10

Full Member
Apr 13, 2005
205
0
Belfast
I know this board might be a little biased, but I need all the advice I can get, basically for my next car I'll be getting one of these 2 cars, and I can't decide which, both have their pros and cons. I test drove the Ibiza a while ago, but found it really hard to form an opinion as I'm not used to driving a diesel. Anyone got any advice?
At the minute I'm swaying towards the Ibiza, cheaper insurance and better fuel economy.
 

Nelson_Wilbury

Guest
If your comparing FR to ST, I'd go for the Fiesta.

But if your comparing Cupra to ST, I'd say go for the Ibiza ;)
 

Ant FR

Full Member
Feb 15, 2005
2,861
0
Kent
to be honest compare the fr petrol against the st then you will have a better idea.

In standard 150 form the petrol FR is quicker than the ST, the handler is a little better on the st admittedly

But if you can spend £500 on the FR then you can have 215bhp, low 6 sec 0-60, thats scooby territory.

the tdi is good but personally i think against the ST the Petrol would be a better comparison. Plus the FR petrol provides better fuel economy than the ST.

Test drive a petrol FR , TDi FR and ST back to back. Plus the ST's are common as shite now, especialy in essex
 

Clark10

Full Member
Apr 13, 2005
205
0
Belfast
To be honest the petrol FR doesn't appeal to me as much as either the TDi or the ST, no idea why though. :confused:
 

T. Spark

Guest
I was looking at a ST, but got the FR TDi...

After words out lass whent to go buy a Sport Ka.... not bad for a ford... :p

Anyway the sales dude basically slated the ST saying it was naff... so go figure.

As for handling, I believe the Ibiza FR TDi handles well, if u put alot in, uj get alot out... if u make a mistake whilst doing that, ur crash which is bad. But if not, works out goood!

My new saying when generally beating cars from starts, or woteva is "I bet im getting better miles per gallon whilst I whoop his ass aswell" :D

Derv 4eva.....

Unless I win the lotto or sumet :p
 

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
1,691
0
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
Ant FR said:
to be honest compare the fr petrol against the st then you will have a better idea.

In standard 150 form the petrol FR is quicker than the ST, the handler is a little better on the st admittedly

But if you can spend £500 on the FR then you can have 215bhp, low 6 sec 0-60, thats scooby territory.

the tdi is good but personally i think against the ST the Petrol would be a better comparison. Plus the FR petrol provides better fuel economy than the ST.

Test drive a petrol FR , TDi FR and ST back to back. Plus the ST's are common as shite now, especialy in essex
Ant, there is a diesel ST now too ;) Only a 1.6 though i believe and not as quick as the FR TDI
 

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
5,740
1
It's not the same 1.6 diesel as used by Citroen is it ?
My neighbour bought a 110bhp Picasso recently, and was telling me it's a 1.6, which I thought was pretty good for it's size. But I suppose if VAG are squeezing 160bhp from a 1.9 then in theory you should still be able to get reasonable power from a 1.6.
 

Ant FR

Full Member
Feb 15, 2005
2,861
0
Kent
big ALI H said:
Ant, there is a diesel ST now too ;) Only a 1.6 though i believe and not as quick as the FR TDI

They don't do an ST diesel mate, the one you are referring to is the 1.6 TDCI Zetec-s which is the diesel version of the 1.6 petrol Zetec-s. its only 90 bhp and is very much different to the ST. has the same bodykit but thats where the similarities end. Different brakes, different suspension, 60 bhp down on the ST smaller wheels, different seats, every different in deed.

If they do ever release a Diesel ST ( which ford have said no to already) then they would have put the new 2.0 Diesel from the focus ( 140bhp) in it.

Handling on the ST is spot on and it has laped fords test track 2 secs faster than a Focus RS as it can carry a lot more speed through the corners.

On the straights an FR would win hands down, but around the twisty stuff the ST is better, and quite a lot better.
 

big ALI H

Cavey
Jun 27, 2003
1,691
0
Cas-Vegas, West Yorkshire
Visit site
Ant FR said:
They don't do an ST diesel mate, the one you are referring to is the 1.6 TDCI Zetec-s which is the diesel version of the 1.6 petrol Zetec-s. its only 90 bhp and is very much different to the ST. has the same bodykit but thats where the similarities end. Different brakes, different suspension, 60 bhp down on the ST smaller wheels, different seats, every different in deed.

If they do ever release a Diesel ST ( which ford have said no to already) then they would have put the new 2.0 Diesel from the focus ( 140bhp) in it.

Handling on the ST is spot on and it has laped fords test track 2 secs faster than a Focus RS as it can carry a lot more speed through the corners.

On the straights an FR would win hands down, but around the twisty stuff the ST is better, and quite a lot better.
My mistake, probably confused me by having the same bodykit :rolleyes: :whistle: :hide: :cheers:
 

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
224
0
Geordie Land
Aye

Dont forget the ST is £500 dearer than the FR and it doesnt come with climate control, only aircon.

I do like the look of the ST, but not sure I like the interior (apart from the seats, which are nice). If it was me, I'd buy the FR (petrol gives better performance, diesel is cheaper to run, both are chippable) over the ST. You can always add some sideskirts like Ant's.

BTW Ant, I saw your FR at Santa Pod 2 weeks ago (I think it was yours) and it looked very nice. Didnt see it go down the strip though?
 

Wayne

Guest
I was looking at both cars as well...

Problem is that I live in Essex, and I knew that the ST would be rife. It's bloody everywhere now, my friend has one, as does the guy round the corner from him.

My initial reaction to the car was that it felt a bit cheap inside. I have the FR, so I know what cheap plastics are like, but I still prefer it ;). I think the rear of the FR looks better, and the front looks miles better with the dual lamps rather than the ST's cheap looking light setup.

The seats are nice in the ST, but the specs have changed. My mates does not have ESP, they informed him a week before he was due to pick it up.

The power of the 130 engine is good as well, it certainly feels fast now that its bedded in a little. My only bad thought is that perhaps I should have got the diesel Cupra, but thats mainly because of its bodykit.

Saying all this, the ST is a good motor, better than the C2 VTS that I also drove. Im glad I chose the FR in the end.
 

Ant FR

Full Member
Feb 15, 2005
2,861
0
Kent
the cat said:
Aye

Dont forget the ST is £500 dearer than the FR and it doesnt come with climate control, only aircon.

I do like the look of the ST, but not sure I like the interior (apart from the seats, which are nice). If it was me, I'd buy the FR (petrol gives better performance, diesel is cheaper to run, both are chippable) over the ST. You can always add some sideskirts like Ant's.

BTW Ant, I saw your FR at Santa Pod 2 weeks ago (I think it was yours) and it looked very nice. Didnt see it go down the strip though?
Why thank you, It was nice and clean, but still have the bloody curbed wheel on it which has woulnd me up, these are being done very soon, going anthracite on all 4 wheel. As you will see there is a lot of stuff nearly ready to go on sitting in my garage just waiting for the sprayer to give me a date, but definatley done by end of the month.

not taking it up the strip until i have had the JBS custom code done.

I will be happy when finished.
 

pbirkett

Full Member
Jun 17, 2004
327
0
Newcastle
pbirkett.blogspot.com
Ant FR said:
Handling on the ST is spot on and it has laped fords test track 2 secs faster than a Focus RS as it can carry a lot more speed through the corners.
Link?

I find that very hard to believe, the RS is MUCH faster than the ST, and even if the Fiesta could go quicker round corners, which I dont believe either, then the power would more than make up for it.
 
Progressive Parts, performance parts and tuning specialists