ibiza won't start

junker

May 16, 2018
Hi
Have aquired an Seat Ibiza 2001, 1.4 stella... that doesn start.
First off, my knowledge about cars is still rather limited but i'm getting there.
Secondly, i'm sorry if the topic has already been arounde and i'm posting an already existing thread but honestly, I don't know what to search for.

Now to the problem.

It seems that the key doesn't communicate with the car. Central locking does not react when I press the key and when I turn the key to start the enginge nothing happends.
The display lights up as normal but normal but there is no ignition at all.

My first thought was that the fob had lost it's sync/programming so I have done the stated manouvre in the manual that states putting the key into the ignition and then within 5 sec (read 2 to 3 sec)
remove the key again after the display starts up. Then i pressed and held the top button on the key as i pressed the bottom one three times. I see that the key reacts but nothing happens in the car.

The central locking works when I use the key manually.

A buddy of mine ran a obd2 diagnostics reader and got the error code e 17. We determined that it was something about the immobilizer.

According to the previous owner this happened when he replaced the instrument panel. I still have the old one.

Anybody got a clue.

inbetweener

Jan 19, 2016
If it's an immobiliser issue the car will crank over and start. It will then cut out almost immediately. Check connections at the starter motor and body to engine earths

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

inbetweener

Jan 19, 2016
If it's an immobiliser issue the car will crank over and start. It will then cut out almost immediately. Check connections at the starter motor and body to engine earths.
The central locking is an entirely different fault. Take the batteries out key remote altogether and the car would still start as normal.

junker

May 16, 2018
Okey. That doesn't happend. Nothing happens when I turn the key to ignite. No relay click and no start motor activity. But how would the car start if I remove the battery/chip if it cant recognize the chip?

inbetweener

Jan 19, 2016
The battery/ the entire key remote has nothing to do with the immobilser at all. The immobilser chip is in the key part itself. The blade part.
You can see it if you remove the key remote part that holds the battery.
You can throw the entire remote part in the bin and the car will still start if you have the blade part of the key.
But anyway regardless of all that.
If your car is not cranking at all it is not an immobilser issue. The fuel supply is stopped with the immobilser. Not the starter motor.

inbetweener

Jan 19, 2016
Check the starter motor multi plug and check the wire in it is not broken. And see if you get a 12v supply to it when you turn key to start the car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members